Stewart, Claws Blank Charleston 3-0 in Rain-Shortened Series Finale
CHARLESTON, SC - Will Stewart threw five scoreless innings as the BlueClaws topped Charleston 3-0 in a game shortened to five innings by rain on Thursday night at Riley Park.
The BlueClaws (31-15/72-43), who took two of three in the series from the RiverDogs (20-25/53-60), are now 21-7 in their last 28 games and they have either won or split seven straight series.
Lakewood is also credited with their 22nd shutout of the season, tying last year's team for the most in franchise history. The BlueClaws also lead the minors with their 22, five more than Buies Creek (Astros, Advanced-A).
The BlueClaws got on the board with two runs in the fourth inning. An RBI single from Colby Fitchput Lakewood up 1-0 and then Nick Maton, who had singled, scored on a passed ball.
Rodolfo Duran homered in the fifth, his team-leading 13th home run of the year and first since July 3rd, to put the BlueClaws up 3-0.
Jhailyn Ortiz was 2-2 in the win.
Lakewood heads to Hickory and will open a series with the Crawdads on Friday night at 7:00 pm. RHP Andrew Brown (4-2) starts the series opener for the BlueClaws.
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher Will Stewart
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 9, 2018
- Lexington Drops Game Three To Asheville, But Take Series Over Tourists - Lexington Legends
- Drive Cruise to Series Victory over Fireflies on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Renteria Strikes out a Career-High Nine Batters Thursday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Claims Series Behind Twin Bill Sweep of Greensboro - West Virginia Power
- 'Birds Blanked in Rome Again - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Marcelino's Three Hits Pace Offense in Win - Asheville Tourists
- 'Dads Complete 4 Game Sweep of Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Complete Four-Game Sweep of Intimidators with Double Header Win - Kannapolis Intimidators
- RiverDogs Shut out by BlueClaws in Rain-Shortened Rubber Match - Charleston RiverDogs
- Solid Start for Weisenberg, Rome wins 5-0 - Rome Braves
- Stewart, Claws Blank Charleston 3-0 in Rain-Shortened Series Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 9 vs. Greenville (Game 112) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Host Ballpark Festival of Beers Saturday, August 18 - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (august 9) - West Virginia Power
- Error Sinks 'Birds in Another Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.