Drive Cruise to Series Victory over Fireflies on Thursday
Columbia, SC - The Greenville Drive put together another dominant performance against the Columbia Fireflies on Thursday, as they cruised to an 11-1 win and a victory in the three-game series.
The offense got going in a hurry, as Zach Sterry and Jordan Wren blasted back-to-back home runs in the top of the second to stake the Drive (26-21, 51-65) to a 2-0 lead against Marcel Renteria (3-2).
The Fireflies (18-27, 52-60) struck for their only run of the game thanks to a Jay Jabs RBI double in the bottom of the second, but Ryan Fitzgerald answered for the Drive with an RBI single in the third to make the score 3-1.
Angel Padron (4-5) matched his career high with six innings on the mound to earn the victory for the Drive, and the southpaw allowed just one run on five hits.
Two big innings gave the Drive even more cushion. A three-run sixth was highlighted by a Tanner Nishioka RBI single, a bases-loaded walk by Wren and a Fireflies passed ball.
Sterry's two-run double capped a five-run ninth inning that also included RBI hits from Jarren Duran and Nishioka, as well as a run-scoring groundout by Fitzgerald. Sterry drove in three runs with a pair of hits to pace the Drive offense, which also receive two-hit nights from Duran, Nishioka and Pedro Castellanos.
Zach Schellenger threw a scoreless seventh inning with two strikeouts in his Drive debut, and Juan Florentino finished out the game with two shutout frames.
The road trip continues on Friday night for the Drive as they begin a four-game series against the Augusta GreenJackets, an affiliate of the San Francisco Giants, at 7:05. Right-hander Durin O'Linger (2-1, 3.12) will start on the mound in the opener.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 9, 2018
- Lexington Drops Game Three To Asheville, But Take Series Over Tourists - Lexington Legends
- Drive Cruise to Series Victory over Fireflies on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Renteria Strikes out a Career-High Nine Batters Thursday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Claims Series Behind Twin Bill Sweep of Greensboro - West Virginia Power
- 'Birds Blanked in Rome Again - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Marcelino's Three Hits Pace Offense in Win - Asheville Tourists
- 'Dads Complete 4 Game Sweep of Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Complete Four-Game Sweep of Intimidators with Double Header Win - Kannapolis Intimidators
- RiverDogs Shut out by BlueClaws in Rain-Shortened Rubber Match - Charleston RiverDogs
- Solid Start for Weisenberg, Rome wins 5-0 - Rome Braves
- Stewart, Claws Blank Charleston 3-0 in Rain-Shortened Series Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 9 vs. Greenville (Game 112) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Host Ballpark Festival of Beers Saturday, August 18 - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (august 9) - West Virginia Power
- Error Sinks 'Birds in Another Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.