'Dads Complete 4 Game Sweep of Kannapolis
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads completed the four game sweep of the Kannapolis Intimidators, winning both games in Thursday's doubleheader. The 'Dads won game one 4-2 and took the second game 1-0.
The Crawdads won the inaugural Battle of the Backroads season series against Kannapolis, winning twelve games to Kannapolis' eight.
Kannapolis got on the board first in game one, scoring a run in the fifth inning off 'Dads starting pitcher AJ Alexy.
The 'Dads rallied for three runs in the bottom half of the inning. Yonny Hernandez singled to get the rally started. Ryan Dorow advanced Hernandez to third with a single to right. Tyreque Reed walked to load the bases for the 'Dads. Preston Scott delivered a game-tying single that brought in Hernandez. Pedro Gonzalez put the 'Dads ahead 2-1 with a single of his own. Yohel Pozo hit a sacrifice fly to cap off the rally and score Reed.
Kannapolis scored again in the sixth inning to cut the 'Dads lead to one. Alexy finished the afternoon with five and two thirds innings, four hits allowed, two earned runs, and nine strikeouts. He earned his fifth win of the season.
In the bottom of the inning, the 'Dads quickly extended their lead back to two runs. Tyler Ratliff walked and came in to score on a double by Ryan Dorow to make the score 4-2.
Joe Barlow, who had entered the game in the sixth, pitched a scoreless seventh inning to earn his sixth save of the season.
In game two, the Crawdads scored the first run of the game. Preston Scott singled to center in the second. Justin Jacobs hit his tenth double of the season to bring Scott around to score.
The run is all the 'Dads pitching staff needed as they held Kannapolis scoreless. Alex Eubanks went six innings, yielding three hits and walking none. He struck out six batters. Joe Kuzia delivered his twelfth consecutive scoreless outing, closing out the game to pick up his second save.
The Crawdads begin a pivotal four game series against the first-place Lakewood BlueClaws tomorrow night at 7pm. It will be Superhero night at the Frans and the night will wrap up with post-game fireworks.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 9, 2018
- Lexington Drops Game Three To Asheville, But Take Series Over Tourists - Lexington Legends
- Drive Cruise to Series Victory over Fireflies on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Renteria Strikes out a Career-High Nine Batters Thursday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Claims Series Behind Twin Bill Sweep of Greensboro - West Virginia Power
- 'Birds Blanked in Rome Again - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Marcelino's Three Hits Pace Offense in Win - Asheville Tourists
- 'Dads Complete 4 Game Sweep of Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Complete Four-Game Sweep of Intimidators with Double Header Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- RiverDogs Shut out by BlueClaws in Rain-Shortened Rubber Match - Charleston RiverDogs
- Solid Start for Weisenberg, Rome wins 5-0 - Rome Braves
- Stewart, Claws Blank Charleston 3-0 in Rain-Shortened Series Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 9 vs. Greenville (Game 112) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Host Ballpark Festival of Beers Saturday, August 18 - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (august 9) - West Virginia Power
- Error Sinks 'Birds in Another Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.