Crawdads Complete Four-Game Sweep of Intimidators with Double Header Win
The Hickory Crawdads held the Intimidators to three runs in four games, including just one run in Thursday night's double header to complete the four-game sweep at LP Frans Stadium.
The first few innings proved to be a pitcher's duel between Kannapolis' Spencer Moran and Hickory's A.J. Alexy (W, 5-7), as Moran allowed just one hit through the first four innings, while Alexy struck out six batters through the four frames.
In the fifth, the Intimidators manufactured their first run after a leadoff single from Carlos Perez, followed by a walk to Michael Hickman to put runners at first and second with no outs. Next up, Ramon Beltre placed a perfect sacrifice bunt to safely send both runners to second and third base with one out. Searching for their first run, Johan Cruz whacked a pitch into left-center field that proved deep enough to score Perez from third base, giving the I's a 1-0 lead.
In the bottom-half of the inning, the 'Dads finally got through to Moran with a pair of singles from Yonny Hernandez and Ryan Dorow, followed by a walk surrendered by William Kincanon, who got the call out of the bullpen to replace Moran (L, 1-2). After the walk to Tyreque Reed to load the bases, Preston Scott reached on an infield single to Tate Blackman at third base, tying the game, 1-1.
Next up, Pedro Gonzalez scored Dorow from third on the second-straight infield single to Blackman, giving Hickory a 2-1 advantage. To put the icing on the cake in the inning, Yohel Pozo brought in Reed on a sacrifice fly with a ball hit to left field, giving Alexy a two-run cushion, up 3-1.
In the sixth, Craig Dedelow connected on his tenth homer of the season to right-center field, cutting the lead to one run and knocking Alexy out of the ballgame. After Joe Barlow (S, 6) got Blackman to strike out to end the threat in the sixth, the 'Dads added on an insurance run in the bottom-half of the inning thanks to a Dorow double into left-center, giving Hickory a 4-2 win.
In the fourth and final game of the series in Hickory, the Crawdads jumped on the board early against Jhoan Quijada (L, 1-4), as Scott reached on a single with one out. Next up, Justin Jacobs smacked a double into left-center that one hopped the wall, scoring Scott for the first and only run of the game.
After the second inning run, Quijada settled in to throw five innings of two-hit ball, including five strikeouts on just 58 pitches. But, his opponent, Eubanks, won the pitcher's dual with six innings of three-hit baseball, striking out six batters along the way, giving up no runs.
The Intimidators best chance to score came in the third inning against the right-handed pitcher, as Hickman and Ramon Beltre both reached on singles to lead off the inning. But, an Evan Skoug 4-6-3 double play ended the threat in the inning, with no chances coming after that for Kannapolis.
The Intimidators will head to Lexington to take on the Legends for a three-game series starting Friday night at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 9, 2018
- Lexington Drops Game Three To Asheville, But Take Series Over Tourists - Lexington Legends
- Drive Cruise to Series Victory over Fireflies on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Renteria Strikes out a Career-High Nine Batters Thursday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Claims Series Behind Twin Bill Sweep of Greensboro - West Virginia Power
- 'Birds Blanked in Rome Again - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Marcelino's Three Hits Pace Offense in Win - Asheville Tourists
- 'Dads Complete 4 Game Sweep of Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Complete Four-Game Sweep of Intimidators with Double Header Win - Kannapolis Intimidators
- RiverDogs Shut out by BlueClaws in Rain-Shortened Rubber Match - Charleston RiverDogs
- Solid Start for Weisenberg, Rome wins 5-0 - Rome Braves
- Stewart, Claws Blank Charleston 3-0 in Rain-Shortened Series Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 9 vs. Greenville (Game 112) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Host Ballpark Festival of Beers Saturday, August 18 - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (august 9) - West Virginia Power
- Error Sinks 'Birds in Another Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Intimidators Stories
- Bats Do Just Enough as Kannapolis Pitching Shuts Down Hagerstown
- Themed Fireworks Displays Highlight Historic Season Ahead
- Intimidators Team with PSC to Enhance Fan Experience
- Temerity Baseball Taps Matt Millward as GM for Kannapolis Ball Team
- Intimidators to Host Job Fair on Saturday, February 23rd