Stars Come up Short in Omaha
RALSTON, Neb. - The Lincoln Stars (5-8-1) were unable to find an equalizer, dropping this one to the Omaha Lancers (10-8) on Friday night at Ralston Arena.
Tyler Carpenter scored 7:33 into the first period on the power play for the Lancers, marking the lone goal in the opening frame.
Lincoln was outshot 13-4 through 20 minutes, but was kept in the game by goaltender Ryan Ouellette.
Zach Urdahl eventually broke through for the Stars 8:43 into the second period, also on the man-advantage. Noah Laba fed Urdahl the puck around the goal line and the University of Wisconsin commit drove to the net, but was initially stopped by Lancers netminder Jakub Dobes.
However, the puck bounced off a body in front and into the back of the net, tying the game at one for the Stars. It was Urdahl's 7th goal of the season; Laba picked up the lone assist.
Owen Fowler brought the Lancers back on top with his first goal with Omaha since being acquired in a trade with the Des Moines Buccaneers, beating Ouellette glove-side at 15:55. After 40 minutes, the Stars were down 2-1, but battled back with 15 second-period shots.
Dobes would come up with big saves while called upon, but the Lancers defended well and pushed the pace offensively in the third period. They outshot the Stars 14-6 in the final frame and scored two empty-net goals (one by Fowler at 18:24, another by Ryan Lautenbach at 19:54).
Ouellette was stellar, stopping 37 of 39 shots. Dobes picked up his ninth win of the year with 24 saves. The Stars were 1-for-2 on the power play and 2-for-3 on the penalty kill.
Tonight marked the first USHL games for forwards Cross Hanas, Jack O'Brien and James Stefan, as well as defensemen Clay Hanus, Charles-Alexis Legault and Michael Mastrodomenico.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2021
- Comeback Falls Short, Stampede Lose 4-3 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Hawks Find Early Trouble in Dubuque - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Come up Short in Omaha - Lincoln Stars
- Savoie and Kurth Shine in Dubuque 7-4 Win over Waterloo - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Take Down Stars, 4-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Strong Second Period Lifts Musketeers Past Sioux Falls - Sioux City Musketeers
- Skorpik's 27-Save Night Leads Lumberjacks Past Gamblers - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Jacob Bauer Called up to Western Michigan - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Set for Another Road Game against Force - Tri-City Storm
- Tonight's Game Postponed Due to Travel Conditions - Chicago Steel
- Force Drop Game 1 of the Weekend to Tri-City - Fargo Force
- Musketeers Drop Overtime Thriller - Sioux City Musketeers
- Storm Open Three-Game Road Series with 5-2 Win over Force - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.