Musketeers Drop Overtime Thriller
(Sioux Falls, SD) - The long-anticipated first regular season edition of this year's I-29 rivalry was well worth the wait. The two squads battled to overtime but it was Sioux Falls coming away with a 3-2 victory over the Sioux City Musketeers.
The two teams traded goals in the opening period. The Stampede got on the board first, cashing in on a turnover that led to an odd-man rush. But the Musketeers responded with a power play goal from Daniel Laatsch with three seconds left in the period.
Justin Hryckowian gave the Musketeers their only lead, scoring on a breakaway just over a minute into the second stanza. The one-goal advantage held until midway through the third period when Sioux Falls found the back of the net following a turnover.
Sixty minutes wasn't enough to determine a winner so the two teams went to a 3-on-3 overtime session where Sioux Falls netted the winner goal just over two minutes into the extra session.
Five different Musketeers recorded a point, led by Laatsch who had a goal and an assist. Akira Schmid finished the night with 26 saves as Sioux City falls to 7-8-1 overall. The two rivals rematch in Sioux Falls on Friday night before shifting the rivalry to Sioux City on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2021
- Comeback Falls Short, Stampede Lose 4-3 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Hawks Find Early Trouble in Dubuque - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Come up Short in Omaha - Lincoln Stars
- Savoie and Kurth Shine in Dubuque 7-4 Win over Waterloo - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Take Down Stars, 4-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Strong Second Period Lifts Musketeers Past Sioux Falls - Sioux City Musketeers
- Skorpik's 27-Save Night Leads Lumberjacks Past Gamblers - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Jacob Bauer Called up to Western Michigan - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Set for Another Road Game against Force - Tri-City Storm
- Tonight's Game Postponed Due to Travel Conditions - Chicago Steel
- Force Drop Game 1 of the Weekend to Tri-City - Fargo Force
- Musketeers Drop Overtime Thriller - Sioux City Musketeers
- Storm Open Three-Game Road Series with 5-2 Win over Force - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.