Comeback Falls Short, Stampede Lose 4-3
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Sioux Falls Stampede went down fighting in a 4-3 regulation loss to the Sioux City Musketeers at the PREMIER Center Friday night. Cole Sillinger scored his first career United States Hockey League goal in his second start, while Luke Toporowski and Tyler Haskins added a score each. Trent Burnham made the start in net, stopping 34 of 38 shots faced.
Former Stampede former Brian Carrabes tallied the first goal of the game at 13:07 of the first period. Carrabes was able to beat goaltender Trent Burnham and put the puck over his stick-side shoulder. One of the newest members of the Stampede, Cole Sillinger, scored his first career USHL goal by sniping a puck from the blue line with .01 seconds left in the period to tie the game. Dan Russell and Will Dineen provided the assists on the play.
The momentum quickly vanished to begin the second period as Bennett Schimek scored his fifth goal of the season 1:43 into the second period. The goals and shots kept coming as Justin Hryckowian and Joel Maatta tallied a goal each less than five minutes later to give the Musketeers a 4-1 advantage. Luke Toporowski tallied an unassisted goal at the 11:16 mark of the second to give the Stampede a fighting chance heading into the third. Sioux City outshot the Stampede 20-6 in the period.
Alternate captain Will Dineen was able to make a veteran play at 13:53 of the third period to pull the Herd within one. From the right circle, Dineen was able to bounce a puck off the pads of goaltender Alex Tracy to a Tyler Haskins who was crashing the net for a rebound goal. The comeback would come up short as the Herd were unable to tie the game and lost 4-3.
The Herd moves to 8-10-1 on the season and will take on the Sioux City Musketeers tomorrow night at the Tyson Events Center. Puck drop scheduled for 7:05 p.m. The Herd do not return to the PREMIER Center until February 5 to take on the Tri-City Storm. Fans can also catch the game streaming live at HockeyTV.com or listen live on KELO Radio 107.9 FM, 1320 AM or Kelo.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2021
- Comeback Falls Short, Stampede Lose 4-3 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Hawks Find Early Trouble in Dubuque - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Come up Short in Omaha - Lincoln Stars
- Savoie and Kurth Shine in Dubuque 7-4 Win over Waterloo - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Take Down Stars, 4-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Strong Second Period Lifts Musketeers Past Sioux Falls - Sioux City Musketeers
- Skorpik's 27-Save Night Leads Lumberjacks Past Gamblers - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Jacob Bauer Called up to Western Michigan - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Set for Another Road Game against Force - Tri-City Storm
- Tonight's Game Postponed Due to Travel Conditions - Chicago Steel
- Force Drop Game 1 of the Weekend to Tri-City - Fargo Force
- Musketeers Drop Overtime Thriller - Sioux City Musketeers
- Storm Open Three-Game Road Series with 5-2 Win over Force - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.