Strong Second Period Lifts Musketeers Past Sioux Falls
(Sioux Falls, SD) - The Sioux City Musketeers bounced back from an overtime loss a night before, topping Sioux Falls 4-3 at the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center on Friday.
The Musketeers struck first when Brian Carrabes ripped a slapshot from the right circle past Stampede netminder Trent Burnham with seven minutes left in the first period. Sioux City looked to take a one-goal lead into the intermission but Sioux Falls struck back when Cole Sillinger scored on a one-timer with 0.2 seconds left in the period.
The Musketeers quickly rebounded, scoring three consecutive second period goals. Bennett Schimek found the back of the net on an odd-angle shot minutes before Justin Hryckowian scored 4-on-4 to put the Musketeers up by two. Then it was Joel Maatta taking a puck away right in front of the Sioux Falls net and sliding it past Burnham to give Sioux City a 4-1 lead. However Stampede forward Luke Toporowski cut the deficit in half with a goal midway through the period and Sioux Falls' Tyler Haskins scored with 6:34 left in regulation to bring the Stampede within one. But Sioux Falls couldn't capitalize on a late Musketeer penalty as Sioux City held off a furious rally to secure the victory.
Eight different Musketeers recorded a point in the contest while Alex Tracy stopped 21 shots in net. Sioux City evens their record at 8-8-1 and returns to action on Saturday as they welcome the Stampede to the Tyson Events Center for a 7:05 puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2021
- Comeback Falls Short, Stampede Lose 4-3 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Hawks Find Early Trouble in Dubuque - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Come up Short in Omaha - Lincoln Stars
- Savoie and Kurth Shine in Dubuque 7-4 Win over Waterloo - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Take Down Stars, 4-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Strong Second Period Lifts Musketeers Past Sioux Falls - Sioux City Musketeers
- Skorpik's 27-Save Night Leads Lumberjacks Past Gamblers - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Jacob Bauer Called up to Western Michigan - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Set for Another Road Game against Force - Tri-City Storm
- Tonight's Game Postponed Due to Travel Conditions - Chicago Steel
- Force Drop Game 1 of the Weekend to Tri-City - Fargo Force
- Musketeers Drop Overtime Thriller - Sioux City Musketeers
- Storm Open Three-Game Road Series with 5-2 Win over Force - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.