South Bay's Comeback Falls Short in Loss to RGV
EL SEGUNDO - The South Bay Lakers overcame a 26-point first half deficit, but ultimately could not pull out the win as they fell to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, 125-119, on Sunday night. Scott Machado put on a show for South Bay (11-17) with 32 points and seven assists. Bruno Caboclo led the Vipers (18-10) with 26 points and nine rebounds.
South Bay fell behind early, trailing 38-22 after the first quarter. Michael Frazier scored 12 points in the opening frame to lead the Vipers. Despite falling behind by 26 in the second, the Lakers went into the half only down 72-55 thanks to 13 points in the second quarter from Machado.
South Bay stormed all the way back in the third quarter, as they went into the final frame only down 93-92. Machado scored another 11 points in the third to bring his team within one. The Vipers found their rhythm again in the fourth quarter as 11 points from Dakarai Tucker finished off the win for Rio Grande Valley.
Caboclo (26 points), Frazier (23 points) and Tucker (20 points) all reached the 20-point threshold for the Vipers. Jordan Johnson (14 points), Roger Moute a Bidias (11 points) and Chris Walker (10 points) also scored in double figures for RGV.
Machado's game-high 32 points paced the Lakers as he also tallied five rebounds, seven assists and three steals. Travis Wear added 19 points and seven rebounds while Johnathan Williams finished with 18 points and eight rebounds. Jemerrio Jones (11 points) and Andre Ingram (10 points) tallied double digits off the bench.
South Bay will head across town to face the Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario on Tuesday, January 22 at 7:00pm PT from the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, CA.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 20, 2019
- Vipers Defeat South Bay - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay's Comeback Falls Short in Loss to RGV - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Falls to Warriors - Oklahoma City Blue
- Drive Re-Acquire Lofton; Waive Kilgore - Grand Rapids Drive
- Warriors Defeat Blue 113-103 in Matinee Matchup of NBA G League's Best Records - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Pacers Sign Stephan Hicks to 10-Day Contract - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Jaylen Adams and Alex Poythress Transferred from Erie to Atlanta - Erie BayHawks
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu and Lonnie Walker IV from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Austin Spurs Defeat Iowa Wolves 106-86 - Austin Spurs
- Raptors 905 Acquire Josh Adams - Raptors 905
- Clippers Run out of Gas, Fall to Kings - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Northern Arizona Rodeo Clowns beat Texas Legends 117-116 on Western Night - Northern Arizona Suns
- Suns Squeak Past Legends in Final Seconds - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bay Lakers Stories
- South Bay Acquires Two First Round Picks
- South Bay Lakers Announce Preseason Game with Northern Arizona
- South Bay Acquires Returning Player Rights to Reggie Hearn and David Stockton
- South Bay Lakers Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule
- Scott Machado Named NBA G League Player of the Month