South Bay Wrestles Away a Win in Memphis
SOUTHAVEN, MS - The South Bay Lakers came away with a huge road victory as they beat the Memphis Hustle, 113-106, on Tuesday night. Isaac Bonga and Johnathan Williams each grabbed double-doubles for South Bay (11-15) and Jemerrio Jones stuffed the stat sheet with eight points, 13 rebounds and seven assists. Yuta Watanabe led the Hustle (16-11) with 24 points and nine rebounds.
South Bay struggled shooting the ball in the first quarter, but Memphis couldn't take advantage, holding a slight 23-22 lead through one. Travis Wear scored eight points in the opening frame to lead the Lakers. South Bay's bench did the heavy lifting in the second quarter, leading the Lakers to a 50-44 halftime lead. Marcus Allen and Robert Heyer combined for 16 points in the quarter to put the Lakers ahead.
The Lakers continued to control the game in the third, entering the final period with a 76-69 lead. Bonga and Williams got going in the third quarter, combining for 13 of the Lakers' 26 points. The Lakers finished off the win behind a combined 15 points from Alex Caruso and Justin Harper in the final frame.
Watanabe finished with 24 points and Ivan Rabb scored 19 points while on assignment. Markel Crawford (17 points), Tyler Harvey (16 points) and Dusty Hannahs (11 points) all reached double digits for the Hustle.
Bonga recorded his first double-double of the season with 13 points and 10 rebounds while Williams grabbed his 11th of the year with 13 points and 11 boards. Wear led the team in scoring with 19 points and Jones' balanced performance led a productive bench unit. Heyer scored a season-high 15 points and Harper finished with 13 points. Caruso (11 points), Andre Ingram (11 points) and Allen (10 points) all scored in double figures for South Bay.
South Bay will now head to Austin to face the defending champion Austin Spurs on Friday, January 19 at 5:30pm PT from the H-E-B Center in Cedar Park, TX.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 15, 2019
- South Bay Wrestles Away a Win in Memphis - South Bay Lakers
- Lakeland Magic Announce Partnership with Mosaic - Lakeland Magic
- Suns Stun Charge - Canton Charge
- Going Streaking: Suns Demolish Charge, Win Consecutive Games - Northern Arizona Suns
- Detroit Pistons Sign Isaiah Whitehead and Kalin Lucas to Two-Way Contracts - Grand Rapids Drive
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Julian Washburn to Two-Way Contract - Austin Spurs
- Capital City Is a No Go in Lakeland - Lakeland Magic
- Celebrate Ohio Basketball at the Q with the Charge - Canton Charge
- Raptors 905 Acquire Derek Cooke Jr. - Raptors 905
- NAZ Suns Complete Trade with Raptors 905 - Northern Arizona Suns
- Blue Coats Acquire Terrence Drisdom and Nate Hickman - Delaware Blue Coats
- Record Shooting Powers Stars to Victory - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.