Memphis Grizzlies Sign Julian Washburn to Two-Way Contract
Memphis, Tenn. - Memphis Grizzlies General Manager Chris Wallace today announced that the Grizzlies signed forward Julian Washburn to a two-way contract. In addition, the team waived forward/center Jarnell Stokes.
Washburn (6-8, 210) has appeared in 23 games (18 starts) this season with the NBA G League's Austin Spurs and has averaged 10.6 points, 4.7 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 31.6 minutes while shooting 44.4 percent from the field and 37.1 percent from three-point range. The 27-year-old is in his third season with Austin (2015-16, 2017-19) and was a member of the Spurs' 2018 NBA G League championship team. He also has played professionally in Germany and New Zealand.
Undrafted in the 2015 NBA Draft, the Houston native played four years at the University of Texas-El Paso, where he won the 2014-15 Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year Award as a senior and was selected to the C-USA All-Defensive Team three times.
Stokes (6-9, 260) appeared in two games (one start) with the Grizzlies' NBA G League affiliate, the Memphis Hustle, after signing a two-way contract with the Grizzlies on Jan. 1. The 25-year-old Memphis native has competed in three NBA seasons for the Grizzlies, Miami Heat and Denver Nuggets and for three NBA G League seasons with the Hustle, Iowa Energy and Sioux Falls Skyforce since he was selected by the Utah Jazz with the 35th overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.
Fans who want to support the Memphis Grizzlies and purchase 2018-19 Season Tickets can do so now by calling (901) 888-HOOP or going online to grizzlies.com/tickets. Single Game Tickets are also available for purchase at the FedExForum Box Office, Ticketmaster.com, online at grizzlies.com/tickets or by calling 1-800-4NBA-TIX. For more information on the Grizzlies, visit grizzlies.com, 'like' Memphis Grizzlies on Facebook or follow on Twitter and Instagram (@memgrizz).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 15, 2019
- South Bay Wrestles Away a Win in Memphis - South Bay Lakers
- Lakeland Magic Announce Partnership with Mosaic - Lakeland Magic
- Suns Stun Charge - Canton Charge
- Going Streaking: Suns Demolish Charge, Win Consecutive Games - Northern Arizona Suns
- Detroit Pistons Sign Isaiah Whitehead and Kalin Lucas to Two-Way Contracts - Grand Rapids Drive
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Julian Washburn to Two-Way Contract - Austin Spurs
- Capital City Is a No Go in Lakeland - Lakeland Magic
- Celebrate Ohio Basketball at the Q with the Charge - Canton Charge
- Raptors 905 Acquire Derek Cooke Jr. - Raptors 905
- NAZ Suns Complete Trade with Raptors 905 - Northern Arizona Suns
- Blue Coats Acquire Terrence Drisdom and Nate Hickman - Delaware Blue Coats
- Record Shooting Powers Stars to Victory - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Spurs Stories
- Spurs Sports Academy to Host Free Virtual Basketball Clinics for Young Athletes Starting June 1
- American Hockey League Announces Cancellation of the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season
- Spurs Sports Academy Teams up with Ballogy to Launch Virtual Basketball Workouts and Competitions
- Statement from SS&E CEO RC Buford
- Austin Spurs Fall to South Bay Lakers