Detroit Pistons Sign Isaiah Whitehead and Kalin Lucas to Two-Way Contracts
DETROIT, Mich. - The Detroit Pistons announced today that the team has signed guards Isaiah Whitehead and Kalin Lucas to two-way contracts. Per team policy, terms of the contracts were not disclosed. In a related move, the club also announced that guards Keenan Evans and Zach Lofton have been waived.
Whitehead, 6-4, 213, joins the Pistons after playing for Lokomotiv Kuban in Russia in 2018-19. Whitehead averaged 11.6 points, 1.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists during his time with the club. Prior to playing overseas, Whitehead spent two seasons with the Brooklyn Nets after being drafted by the Utah Jazz with the 42ndoverall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft.
In 89 career NBA games, Whitehead averaged 7.2 points, 2.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists for the Nets from 2016-18. He played in 73 games during his rookie campaign, starting in 26 of those contests and playing 22.5 minutes per game. The Seton Hall product suited up in 30 games for the Long Island Nets in the NBA G League in 2017-18, averaging 22.3 points, 3.8 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.2 steals in 28.7 minutes per contest.
Lucas, 6-1, 195 joins the Pistons after playing in 21 games (10 starts) this season with the Stockton Kings of the NBA G-League where he averaged 22 points, 3.1 rebounds and 6.5 assists. In 133 career games in the G-League (89 starts), Lucas has averages of 18.3 points, 3.7 rebounds and 5.2 assists.
Born in Sterling Heights, Lucas played four seasons at Michigan State University (2007-11) where he averaged 14.2 points, 1.9 rebounds and 4.0 assists for the Spartans. He's one of four MSU players to score over 1,500 points and dish out over 500 assists.
Per NBA rules, teams are permitted to have two Two-Way players on their roster at any given time, in addition to their 15-man regular season roster. Two-Way players for the Pistons will provide services primarily for the Grand Rapids Drive, the team's G League affiliate, but can spend up to 45 days with the Pistons, not including any time prior to the start of the Drive's training camp and at the conclusion of their season.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 15, 2019
- South Bay Wrestles Away a Win in Memphis - South Bay Lakers
- Lakeland Magic Announce Partnership with Mosaic - Lakeland Magic
- Suns Stun Charge - Canton Charge
- Going Streaking: Suns Demolish Charge, Win Consecutive Games - Northern Arizona Suns
- Detroit Pistons Sign Isaiah Whitehead and Kalin Lucas to Two-Way Contracts - Grand Rapids Drive
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Julian Washburn to Two-Way Contract - Austin Spurs
- Capital City Is a No Go in Lakeland - Lakeland Magic
- Celebrate Ohio Basketball at the Q with the Charge - Canton Charge
- Raptors 905 Acquire Derek Cooke Jr. - Raptors 905
- NAZ Suns Complete Trade with Raptors 905 - Northern Arizona Suns
- Blue Coats Acquire Terrence Drisdom and Nate Hickman - Delaware Blue Coats
- Record Shooting Powers Stars to Victory - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Drive Stories
- Detroit Pistons Recall Khyri Thomas and Svi Mykhailiuk from Grand Rapids Drive
- Drive Headed Back to Playoffs
- Drive Drop High-Scoring Contest to Blue Coats
- Pistons Assign Khyri Thomas and Svi Mykhailiuk to Drive
- Two-Way Players Propel Drive to Win over Wisconsin