South Bay Tastes Victory in Win over Salt Lake City
EL SEGUNDO - The South Bay Lakers won their second consecutive home game as they bested the Salt Lake City Stars, 142-128, on Wednesday night. Devontae Cacok and Talen Horton-Tucker each scored 27 points for the Lakers (13-21) and Pierre Jackson tallied a 21-point, 10-assist double-double. Malik Benlevi paced the Stars (23-11) with 29 points off the bench.
South Bay's starting backcourt guided the team to a 36-31 lead after one as Jackson and David Stockton each scored nine points in the opening frame. Jackson continued to have the hot hand in the second quarter, scoring 10 points in the period, to help give the Lakers to a 73-63 lead at the half. He finished the half with 19 points on 6-of-7 from three-point range.
South Bay held a 114-99 lead through three, as Cacok and Wayne Selden Jr. combined for 22 points in the third quarter alone. Cacok and Horton-Tucker combined for 17 points in the fourth quarter to help South Bay close out the victory on their home court.
Benlevi's big night off the bench led Salt Lake City, while Jarrell Brantley also scored efficiently with 25 points. Trevon Bluiett finished with 20 points, Justin Wright-Foreman tallied 14 points and Isaac Haas had six points and 15 rebounds. Mike Scott (17 points) and Kyle Castlin (13 points) also scored in double figures for the Stars.
Cacok continued his hot shooting streak in the win, finishing with 27 points on 12-of-13 from the field. Jackson also had it going, ending the night with 21 points (7-10 FG) and 10 assists for this first double-double of the season. Stockton nearly finished with his own double-double, as he recorded 23 points, nine assists and two steals. Horton-Tucker did a bit of everything for South Bay with 27 points, eight rebounds, five assists and three steals. Selden Jr. (18 points) and Reggie Hearn (14 points) also scored in double figures for the Lakers.
South Bay returns after the break on Wednesday, February 19 when they take on the Texas Legends at 5:00pm from the Comerica Center in Frisco, TX.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 13, 2020
- Austin Spurs Top Sioux Falls Skyforce 116-106 - Austin Spurs
- Wisconsin Tames Swarm for Fourth Straight Victory - Wisconsin Herd
- Blue Coats Dropped by Kings in Second Half - Delaware Blue Coats
- Windy City Drops Overtime Thriller in Erie, 127-124 - Windy City Bulls
- Drive Win Fourth Straight Heading into All-Star Break - Grand Rapids Drive
- Go-Go Run Home Winning Streak to Six with 130-125 Victory over Mad Ants - Capital City Go-Go
- Charge Comeback Stalls in Grand Rapids - Canton Charge
- Cody Demps and Eric Mika Named to USA Men's AmeriCup Qualifying Team - Stockton Kings
- Lakers Hold off Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Warriors Fall to Wolves, 152-117 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Kelan Martin and Wolves Make a Big Splash against Warriors on the Road - Iowa Wolves
- South Bay Tastes Victory in Win over Salt Lake City - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.