Lakers Hold off Stars
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - The Salt Lake City Stars fell to the South Bay Lakers 142-128 tonight on the road. The Stars enter the break ranking second in the Western Conference at 23-11 (.676).
Salt Lake City was led by Malik Benlevi, who poured in a game-high and career-best 29 points on 11-of-18 (.611) from the field, including five three-pointers, in 28 minutes off the bench. Utah Jazz two-way player Jarrell Brantley posted his fifth consecutive 20-point game with 25 points, six rebounds, four assists and two steals. Trevon Bluiett added 20 points on 6-of-9 (.667) shooting from the floor and 3-of-4 (.750) from beyond the arc, while Isaac Haas grabbed a career-high 15 rebounds.
Four players reached the 20-point mark for South Bay, led by LA Lakers two-way player Devontae Cacok and Lakers assignee Talen Horton-Tucker, who scored 27 points apiece. David Stockton added 23 points on 10-of-15 (.667) shooting, nine assists and two steals, while Pierre Jackson posted 21 points on 7-of-10 (.700) from the field and 6-of-7 (.857) from long distance to go with a game-high 10 assists.
The teams exchanged the lead twice in the opening period, with South Bay coming out on top with a five-point lead (36-31). The Lakers extended their lead through the next two quarters, taking a 15-point advantage (114-99) heading into the final frame. The Stars cut the lead to seven points (126-119) with 4:49 left, but South Bay pulled away and earned the 14-point victory.
Salt Lake City returns home after the All-Star break to host the Iowa Wolves (Minnesota Timberwolves affiliate) on Wednesday, Feb. 19. The game, which tips off at 7 p.m. (MT) at Bruin Arena will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
Tickets for all Stars home games are available at slcstars.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 13, 2020
- Austin Spurs Top Sioux Falls Skyforce 116-106 - Austin Spurs
- Wisconsin Tames Swarm for Fourth Straight Victory - Wisconsin Herd
- Blue Coats Dropped by Kings in Second Half - Delaware Blue Coats
- Windy City Drops Overtime Thriller in Erie, 127-124 - Windy City Bulls
- Drive Win Fourth Straight Heading into All-Star Break - Grand Rapids Drive
- Go-Go Run Home Winning Streak to Six with 130-125 Victory over Mad Ants - Capital City Go-Go
- Charge Comeback Stalls in Grand Rapids - Canton Charge
- Cody Demps and Eric Mika Named to USA Men's AmeriCup Qualifying Team - Stockton Kings
- Lakers Hold off Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Warriors Fall to Wolves, 152-117 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Kelan Martin and Wolves Make a Big Splash against Warriors on the Road - Iowa Wolves
- South Bay Tastes Victory in Win over Salt Lake City - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salt Lake City Stars Stories
- Stars Bounce Back with Wire-To-Wire Victory at Kings
- Stars Fall to Hot Shooting Kings
- Stars Outshoot Wolves
- Lakers Hold off Stars
- Stars Best Legends in Overtime