South Bay Sails by Clippers in Home Victory
EL SEGUNDO - The South Bay Lakers grabbed their first win of the season over their crosstown rivals as they beat the Agua Caliente Clippers, 110-95, on Thursday night. Scott Machado continued his stellar play for the Lakers (16-26) with 26 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists. Angel Delgado paced the Clippers (22-21) with 16 points and 21 rebounds.
Travis Wear guided the Lakers to a 30-24 lead through one as he scored 12 points in the opening quarter alone. The Clippers bounced back in the second quarter, going into the half with a 55-51 lead as Delgado tallied eight points in the second frame.
South Bay regained the lead through three, 82-74, behind 11 points in the period from Machado. Spencer Hawes helped put the finishing touches on the win with seven points in the fourth quarter. The Lakers outscored the Clippers by 19 points, 59-40, in the second half.
Delgado's big double-double led the Clippers and Sindarius Thornwell scored a team-high 17 points. Jerome Robinson (16 points), Ray McCallum (15 points) and Johnathan Motley (12 points) all scored in double figures for the Clippers.
Machado led the Lakers to victory with his 11th double-double of the season and Wear bounced back with 20 points, six rebounds, three assists and three steals. Andre Ingram poured in 17 points to go along with eight rebounds, while Jemerrio Jones tallied a 12-point, 11-rebound double-double off the bench. Hawes finished the night with 15 points, five rebounds, four assists, three steals and two blocks in only his second game of the season.
South Bay faces the Clippers again on Saturday, March 9 at 7:00pm PT from the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, CA.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 8, 2019
- Austin Spurs Fall to Raptors 905 116-113 - Austin Spurs
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 109-94 to the Memphis Hustle Tonight in Southaven - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Take Down First Place Warriors for Crucial Victory - Memphis Hustle
- Vipers Defeat the Kings at Home - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Long Island Nets Clinch First Playoff Berth in Franchise History with Win over Maine - Long Island Nets
- Drive Stay Hot with Fourth Straight Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- BayHawks Fall to Drive - Erie BayHawks
- Mad Ants' Team Effort Leads Fort Wayne to Win against Lakeland - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Nets Cut Down Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Tahjere McCall Rejoins Long Island Nets - Long Island Nets
- Herd Acquires Trae Bell-Haynes - Wisconsin Herd
- "Bucks Takeover" Scheduled for Wisconsin Herd Game on March 11 - Wisconsin Herd
- Elie Okobo Assigned to Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Detroit Pistons Assign Khyri Thomas and Svi Mykhailiuk to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- South Bay Sails by Clippers in Home Victory - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bay Lakers Stories
- South Bay Acquires Two First Round Picks
- South Bay Lakers Announce Preseason Game with Northern Arizona
- South Bay Acquires Returning Player Rights to Reggie Hearn and David Stockton
- South Bay Lakers Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule
- Scott Machado Named NBA G League Player of the Month