South Bay Rides the Wave to Fourth Straight Win
EL SEGUNDO- The South Bay Lakers won their fourth consecutive game as they beat the Santa Cruz Warriors, 113-108, on Monday night. Three Lakers secured double-doubles, including NBA G League Player of the Week Scott Machado, and Marcus Allen scored a game-high 18 points as South Bay (21-27) split the season series with Santa Cruz. Antonius Cleveland led the Warriors (31-16) with 17 points.
South Bay started the game on a 16-0 run and finished the quarter with a 35-31 lead. Travis Wear scored 10 points in the opening frame to pace the Lakers. South Bay entered halftime with a 57-55 lead, as Allen and Justin Harper scored seven points apiece in the second quarter.
The Lakers held a three-point lead, 81-78, after three, as Jeffrey Carroll scored seven points in the period. Jemerrio Jones scored 10 points in the fourth and the Lakers were able to hold off the Warriors and grab the win.
Cleveland's team-high 17 points paced the Warriors, as Juan Toscano-Anderson tallied a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Darius Morris (15 points) and Michael Gbinije (13 points) scored in double figures, while Kendrick Nunn (15 points) and Alen Smailagic (14 points) also tallied double-digit outputs off the bench.
Allen's 18 points off the bench guided the Lakers to the win, while Spencer Hawes (11 points, 11 rebounds), Jones (15 points, 10 rebounds) and Machado (14 points, 11 assists, four steals) all recorded double-doubles. Wear finished with 16 points, seven rebounds and five assists and Robert Heyer (13 points), Carroll (11 points, seven rebounds) and Harper (11 points) also scored in double figures.
South Bay plays their final home game of the season when they host the Stockton Kings on Thursday, March 21 at 7:00pm PT from the UCLA Health Training Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 19, 2019
- Magic Secure 30th Win of the Season in Victory over Bulls - Lakeland Magic
- Austin Spurs Defeat Texas Legends 121-117 - Austin Spurs
- Lakeland Snaps Windy City's Three-Game Winning Streak, Defeat Bulls 141-109 - Windy City Bulls
- Kings Assign Caleb Swanigan to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Mad Ants Hold off Herd - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Westchester Knicks Waive Devon Baulkman - Westchester Knicks
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Kethan Savage - Westchester Knicks
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Stars Cap off Regular Season with Two Home Games - Salt Lake City Stars
- Center Deyonta Davis Earns GATORADE Call-Up to the Atlanta Hawks - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Heat Assign Cooke to Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu and Lonnie Walker IV to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to South Bay Lakers 113-108 to Split Season Series - Santa Cruz Warriors
- South Bay Rides the Wave to Fourth Straight Win - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.