Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to South Bay Lakers 113-108 to Split Season Series
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (31-16) fell to the South Bay Lakers (21-27) tonight 103-108 at the UCLA Health Training Center in El Segundo. With the loss, Santa Cruz (.660) cedes the best record by win percentage in the NBA G League for the first time this season.
Six Sea Dubs scored in double figures tonight, including 17 points from guard Antonius Cleveland, who had 12 in the fourth quarter. Kendrick Nunn scored 15 points off the bench, 12 in the first half, and guard Darius Morris had 15 points and a team-high seven assists tonight. Forward Juan Toscano-Anderson logged his fifth double-double of the season with 15 points and 12 rebounds to go with five assists.
Eight of the nine Lakers who saw the floor tonight scored in double figures, led by guard Marcus Allen with 18 points in just 19 minutes off the bench. Center Spencer Hawes logged 11 points and 11 rebounds, while forward Jemerrio Jones had 15 points and 10 rebounds. Newly-crowned NBA G League Player of the Week Scott Machado had 14 points and 11 assists tonight, but also committed 11 turnovers and shot 4-of-12 from the field (33.3 percent FG).
South Bay began the night on a 16-0 run, shooting 87.5 percent from the floor and scoring seven buckets via six assists. The Warriors recovered thanks to 17 bench points to bring the deficit down to four, 35-31 after the first quarter. Nunn's 12 first half points and South Bay's 12 turnovers brought the deficit down to two at halftime, 57-55.
Two-way forward Marcus Derrickson hit a three-pointer to start the second half and give the Warriors their first lead of the night, but Hawes led a 16-5 Lakers run to regain the lead and end the third quarter up 81-78.
South Bay opened the fourth on a 10-0 run to force an Aaron Miles timeout just 105 seconds into the period. Antonius Cleveland scored 12 points on a perfect 4-for-4 from three to keep Santa Cruz competitive, but the rest of the team shot just 4-of-16 from the field (25.0 percent shooting) and 3-of-14 from three (21.4 percent) to split the season series 2-2 with South Bay. The 33-16 Rio Grande Valley Vipers (.673) and 32-16 Long Island Nets (.667) now have a higher win percentage than the Sea Dubs with just a week remaining in the regular season.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will conclude the 2018-19 regular season with a three-game homestand at Kaiser Permanente Arena, starting Wednesday, March 20 against the Capital City Go-Go. The first 1,500 fans in attendance that night will receive a Warriors water bottle, courtesy of Kaiser Permanente. For tickets to Wednesday's water bottle giveaway and for all Warriors home games, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 19, 2019
- Magic Secure 30th Win of the Season in Victory over Bulls - Lakeland Magic
- Austin Spurs Defeat Texas Legends 121-117 - Austin Spurs
- Lakeland Snaps Windy City's Three-Game Winning Streak, Defeat Bulls 141-109 - Windy City Bulls
- Kings Assign Caleb Swanigan to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Mad Ants Hold off Herd - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Westchester Knicks Waive Devon Baulkman - Westchester Knicks
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Kethan Savage - Westchester Knicks
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Stars Cap off Regular Season with Two Home Games - Salt Lake City Stars
- Center Deyonta Davis Earns GATORADE Call-Up to the Atlanta Hawks - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Heat Assign Cooke to Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu and Lonnie Walker IV to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to South Bay Lakers 113-108 to Split Season Series - Santa Cruz Warriors
- South Bay Rides the Wave to Fourth Straight Win - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Warriors Conclude 2018-19 Season with Defeat to Rio Grande Valley Vipers, 144-125
- Santa Cruz Warriors Advance to Western Conference Finals, Beat the Blue 117-102
- Golden State Warriors Assign Guard Jacob Evans III to Santa Cruz
- Warriors Beat Agua Caliente Clippers 113-109, Match Best Record in NBA G League