South Bay Boots Austin Back to Texas in Home Win
EL SEGUNDO - The South Bay Lakers won their third game in a row as the beat the Austin Spurs, 131-123, on Saturday night. Scott Machado tallied another double-double and Spencer Hawes scored a team-high 29 points for the Lakers (20-27) in the win. John Holland led the Spurs (19-28) with a game-high 30 points.
Austin took an eight-point lead into the second quarter, 33-25, behind 13 points in the opening frame from Holland. Machado dished out five assists in the first quarter for the Lakers. Hawes dominated the second quarter, scoring 17 points in the frame, but the Spurs held a 62-61 lead at the half.
Machado and Travis Wear combined for 16 points in the third quarter, as the Lakers took a 101-93 lead into the final period. Jemerrio Jones scored eight points in the final frame as South Bay was able to hold of the Spurs for the victory.
Holland's game-high 30 points led the Spurs while Amida Brimah tallied a 12-point, 12-rebound double-double. Josh Huestis and Travis Bader each finished with 23 points and DeJuan Blair (15 points) and Ben Moore (13 points) also finished in double figures for the Spurs.
Machado's 14th double-double of the year (22 points, 13 assists) paced the Lakers and Hawes showcased his all-around game with 29 points, six rebounds, four assists, three steals and three blocks. Jones finished with 18 points (9-11 FG), eight rebounds and three steals off the bench and was a game-best +12 in 29 minutes. Jeffrey Carroll (14 points), Justin Harper (13 points) and Wear (12 points) each had double-digit efforts in the win.
South Bay continues their three-game homestand with a matchup against the Santa Cruz Warriors on Monday, March 18 at 7:00pm PT from the UCLA Health Training Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 17, 2019
- Skyforce Eliminated in Loss to Hustle - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Stockton Kings Come Back in Overtime Thriller against Greensboro Swarm - Stockton Kings
- Hustle Win Fourth Straight Game to Bolster Playoff Chances - Memphis Hustle
- Stars Fall to Blue - Salt Lake City Stars
- Red Claws Fall in Home Finale - Maine Red Claws
- Skyforce Acquires CJ Anderson - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- South Bay Boots Austin Back to Texas in Home Win - Austin Spurs
- Red Claws Acquire Thomas Robinson - Maine Red Claws
- Suns Fight Back Before Losing at Buzzer to Vipers - Northern Arizona Suns
- Legends Bounce Back in Home Finale - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Spurs Stories
- Atlanta Hawks Name Landry Fields as Assistant General Manager
- Texas Pro Sports Teams and Civic Organizations Unite with #TexasTeamUp Campaign to Encourage Voter Turnout in the Lone Star State
- Virtual Auditions for 2020-21 Spurs Hype Squad Begin Today with Open Submission Round
- Spurs Sports Academy to Host Virtual Basketball Camps for Young Athletes Starting July 13
- Grizzlies Add Assistant Coach