Hustle Win Fourth Straight Game to Bolster Playoff Chances
Sioux Falls, S.D. - The Memphis Hustle (27-21) emerged victorious for the fourth straight game, and for the fifth time in its last six games, by defeating the Sioux Falls Skyforce (23-24) 116-101 Sunday at Sanford Pentagon.
With losses by the Salt Lake City Stars and Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario, Memphis now has sole possession of fifth place and sits one game ahead of the Stars and 1.5 games ahead of the Clippers for one of the last two playoff spots. Sioux Falls was eliminated from playoff contention with today's loss. The Hustle conclude the three-game road trip this Tuesday, March 19 against Salt Lake City inside Lifetime Activities Center at 8 p.m. CT.
After trailing 27-26 following the opening frame, Memphis opened the first 2:09 of the second quarter on a 12-2 run to take a nine-point advantage, its largest of the half. The Skyforce then outscored the Hustle 19-7 over the next 5:33 to take a three-point lead of their own before the Hustle owned a 10-4 advantage for the rest of the half, taking a 55-52 lead into halftime. Doral Moore was the difference maker in the first half, posting a double-double by halftime (13 points, 11 rebounds) and blocking five shots.
The Hustle pushed the lead to 73-65 with 4:36 left in the third before going on a 9-0 run over the next 2:34 to take a 17-point lead. Sioux Falls cut it to as little as 13 with 11:04 left in the game, but Grizzlies assignee Tyler Dorsey knocked down two straight threes to push the lead to 95-76. Memphis would lead by as many as 23 in the fourth quarter. The Hustle shot 51.8 percent (44-85 FG) on the night to best Sioux Falls by nearly 14 percent and held a 30-10 scoring advantage in fastbreak situations. Additionally, the Memphis bench outscored the Skyforce reserves 52-7. The Hustle also outshot the Skyforce by significant margins in three-point percentage and free throw percentage.
Dorsey finished with a team-high 30 points on 9-of-16 shooting (6-10 3P) to go with seven assists and five rebounds. Moore ended up with 15 points (7-8 FG), 14 boards and five blocks. The Hustle are now 17-5 when Moore reaches double digits and 7-0 when he records a double-double. Two-way player Julian Washburn added 19 points, shooting 8-of-12 from the field (35-3P), and also contributed five rebounds and four steals.
For the second straight outing against Memphis, Bubu Palo fell just short of a triple-double, finishing with 33 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds. Yante Maten (23 points, 11 rebounds) and Emanuel Terry (11 points, 10 rebounds) also posted double-doubles for Sioux Falls.
Memphis returns to Landers Center for its final regular season game, and fourth and final meeting with Oklahoma City, on Friday, March 22 at 7 p.m. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 17, 2019
- Skyforce Eliminated in Loss to Hustle - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Stockton Kings Come Back in Overtime Thriller against Greensboro Swarm - Stockton Kings
- Hustle Win Fourth Straight Game to Bolster Playoff Chances - Memphis Hustle
- Stars Fall to Blue - Salt Lake City Stars
- Red Claws Fall in Home Finale - Maine Red Claws
- Skyforce Acquires CJ Anderson - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- South Bay Boots Austin Back to Texas in Home Win - Austin Spurs
- Red Claws Acquire Thomas Robinson - Maine Red Claws
- Suns Fight Back Before Losing at Buzzer to Vipers - Northern Arizona Suns
- Legends Bounce Back in Home Finale - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Hustle Guard Tarik Phillip Signs with Washington Wizards
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Dusty Hannahs to 10-Day Contract
- Rio Grande Valley Gets Red-Hot from Three-Point Range to Eliminate Hustle from G League Playoffs
- Memphis Hustle to Host Hustle Budweiser Watch Party for Friday's Playoff Game at Buffalo Wild Wings in Southaven
- Strowbridge's Dagger Sends Hustle to Conference Semifinals