Sounders FC to Sign Special Olympics Washington Unified Sports Team on Tuesday, May 28
SEATTLE, WASH. - This coming Tuesday, May 28 at 4:00 p.m. PT in The NINETY, Sounders FC is hosting a special signing ceremony to add its 2019 Special Olympics Washington Unified Sports athletes and partners to the roster. Head Coach Brian Schmetzer and forward Will Bruin will be in attendance to welcome the new athletes to Sounders FC and discuss teamwork, inclusion, competing on a high level and the club's historic rivalry with Portland as the Special Olympics Washington Unified Team prepares to face the Portland Timbers Unified Team twice this summer.
The athletes signing contracts on Tuesday are scheduled to play a Unified Exchange Match against the Portland Timbers at CenturyLink Field in July, then away at Providence Park in August. These Washington natives recently returned from representing the United States and playing in the 2019 Special Olympics World Summer Games held in Abu Dhabi in March, where they earned the bronze medal.
The Special Olympics Unified Exchanges matches are a special tradition for both Sounders FC and the Timbers, as the two rivals were the first MLS teams to ever host such a match, with the series beginning in 2010. The tradition has continued in each subsequent season, with two Special Olympics Unified Exchange matches played every year: one in Portland and one in Seattle. Now, every U.S.-based MLS club hosts or travels to play at least one Special Olympics Unified Exchange match each season.
After signing contracts to officially join Sounders FC, each athlete will take headshots for their Sounders FC roster and have a personalized jersey presented to them by Schmetzer and Bruin.
Sounders FC has supported Special Olympics programming since the club's inception into MLS in 2009. The partnership furthers the team's commitment to leading the way in equality and inclusion in sport.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 24, 2019
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Orlando City SC 0 - Friday, May 24, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City Fall to the LA Galaxy 1-0 - Orlando City SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Travel to Twin Cities for Inaugural Visit to Allianz Field - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire Midfielder/Defender Raheem Edwards Available for Selection - Chicago Fire
- Six Red Bulls Named for International Duty - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face the Colorado Rapids Tomorrow to Finish Two-Match Road Stretch - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC to Sign Special Olympics Washington Unified Sports Team on Tuesday, May 28 - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Visits Vancouver Tomorrow. Here Are 5 Things You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo Loan GK Michael Nelson to RGV FC for Saturday's Match at H-E-B Park - Houston Dynamo
- Larry Sunderland Tabbed First Director of Player Development - FC Cincinnati
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Announce Departure of Youth Technical Director Larry Sunderland - Portland Timbers
- RBNY Returns to Cincinnati for First Time Since Open Cup Semis - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Hosts Tree Planting Event this Sunday
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Defender Alex Roldan
- Sounders FC Welcomes Former Team Captain Brad Evans Back to Club as Official Brand Ambassador
- Sounders FC Plays Pair of Preseason Friendlies in Mexico City
- Sounders FC Roster Update from Preseason Camp in Mexico City