Sound Tigers Sign Valiquette to PTO
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (Nov. 19, 2011) - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers announced Saturday that they have signed goaltender Steve Valiquette to a professional tryout contract (PTO). Valiquette will serve as Kevin Poulin's backup in tonight's game against the Springfield Falcons.
Valiquette, 34, joins the Sound Tigers after appearing in 35 games last season with CSKA Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey League. The Etobicoke, ON native amassed a 16=2D14-5 record in 46 career NHL games with the New York Islanders, Edmonton Oilers and New York Rangers.
The 6'6", 210-pound netminder was a member of the inaugural 2001-02 Sound Tigers team which lost in the Calder Cup Finals to the Chicago Wolves. In two seasons with the Sound Tigers, Valiquette compiled a 25-19-4 record. Valiquette has appeared in 380 professional games and began his professional career in 1997 with the Dayton Bombers of the East Coast Hockey League.
The Sound Tigers host a pair of games this weekend against Northeast Division opponents. The Springfield Falcons make their first visit of the 2011-12 season to Webster Bank Arena tonight at 7:00 p.m., followed by a 3:00 p.m. showdown tomorrow afternoon against the Adirondack Phantoms. Tomorrow is Pucks 'N Paws day, where can bring their leashed dog to their seat for an exciting afternoon of hockey. Raffles, giveaways and a pet adoption booth will be on the concourse.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 19, 2011
- Aeros Upend Stars - Houston Aeros
- Newton and Desjardins Lead Monsters to Last-Minute Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Rampage Defeat Wolves 4-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Desjardins Too Much for Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Fall Prey to Admirals' AHL-Record Road Streak - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Going with the Flow - Manchester Monarchs
- Offensive Explosion Pushes Adirondack Over Syracuse - Adirondack Phantoms
- Stars Fall to Aeros 5-1 - Texas Stars
- Wolves' Winning Streak Ends with 4-3 Loss to San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Falcons Beat Sound Tigers 4-1 - in a Tie for First Place - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Defeat Sound Tigers 4-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Suffer 5-2 Loss to Phantoms - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Sent to Second Straight Shootout Setback - Hershey Bears
- Devils Defeat Hershey in Shootout - Albany Devils
- Pirates Topple Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Penguins Fall to Monarchs in Shootout, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Get by Griffins 3-1 - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall to Pirates 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Stonewalled by IceCaps; Split Weekend Serie - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Fall to Toronto in Second Game of Home-And-Home Series - Rochester Americans
- Defenseman Lee Baldwin Rejoins Whale - Connecticut Whale
- 'Canes Recall Zac Dalpe from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Sound Tigers Sign Valiquette to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Worcester Sharks Offer to Reimburse Rob Gronkowski $7,500 to Pay NFL Fine - Worcester Sharks
- Aeros Game Day, November 19: Aeros at Stars - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Reassign Max Gratchev and Brian Stewart to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Panthers Recall Markstrom, Rampage Sign Nolan to PTO - San Antonio Rampage
- Gameday Preeview - Houston at Texas - Texas Stars
- Islanders Recall Nilsson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barons Halt Heat Streak at Seven Games - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Sound Tigers Set Home Opener for October 19
- Bridgeport's season ends in Game 5 overtime loss
- Sound Tigers Host Bears in Decisive Game 5 Tonight
- Lorito scores at 1:13 of overtime to force winner-take-all Game 5 on Saturday
- Sound Tigers Battle in Must-Win Game 4 Tonight