Solar Bears Sign Defenseman Michael Prapavessis
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears have announced the club has signed defenseman Michael Prapavessis to an ECHL Standard Player Contract for the 2020-21 season.
Prapavessis (PRAHP-ah-VEHS-iss), 25, joins Orlando for his third full season of professional hockey after skating in 26 games with the AHL's Cleveland Monsters during the 2019-20 season, recording two points (1g-1a) and two penalty minutes. The 6-foot-2, 185-pound blueliner also logged two assists and four penalty minutes in six games with the Jacksonville Icemen.
In 52 career AHL games with Cleveland, Prapavessis has tallied eight points (2g-6a) and eight penalty minutes; he has four assists and 10 penalty minutes in 17 career ECHL games with Jacksonville and Cincinnati.
Prior to turning pro, the Oakville, Ontario native played college hockey for Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute, where he appeared in 154 career games for the Engineers program and picked up 62 points (7g-55a) and 80 penalty minutes. During his senior season in 2017-18, Prapavessis served as one of R.P.I.'s captains.
Prapavessis played two seasons of Junior A Hockey for the Toronto Lakeshore Patriots of the OJHL, where he produced 65 points (7g-58a) and four penalty minutes in 72 games. During the 2013-14 season, Prapavessis was named the OJHL's Best Defenseman and Most Gentlemanly Player while leading all blueliners in scoring with 55 points and was named to the league's First All-Star Team. Prapavessis helped the Patriots captured the OJHL's Frank L. Buckland Trophy as league champion, as well as the Dudley Hewitt Cup as the Central Canadian Junior A champion, earning a berth in the RBC Cup, where Prapavessis was named the Top Defenseman for the tournament.
Prapavessis was a fourth-round selection (#105 overall) of the Dallas Stars in the 2014 NHL Draft.
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears are scheduled to return to action when they visit the Florida Everblades at Hertz Arena on Wednesday, Jan. 27 at 7:30 p.m. The Solar Bears are back on home ice when they host the South Carolina Stingrays at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center on Sunday, Jan. 31 at 3 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 26, 2021
- Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Tyler Sheehy Headed to the American Hockey League - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - January 26 - ECHL
- Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Utah's Boucher Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Grizzlies Forward Matthew Boucher Named ECHL Player of the Week - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Sign Defenseman Michael Prapavessis - Orlando Solar Bears
- Indy's Christopoulos Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Billy Christopoulos Named Goaltender of the Week - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Sign Forward Marsh - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Bear Bites - Solar Bears Update
- Maria "Jackie" Metcalf Selected as Teacher of the Month for February
- Coughler lifts Solar Bears to 4-1 win with hat trick
- Solar Bears earn point in 3-2 OT loss to Icemen
- Solar Bears ride three-goal first period to 3-2 win over Icemen