Sod Poodles Outfielder Edward Olivares Named Texas League Player of the Week
AMARILLO, Texas - Sod Poodles outfielder Edward Olivares has been named Texas League Player of the Week for the week of April 28- May 5, the Texas League announced.
On the week, the Padres number 22 prospect went 11-for-31 (.354) with a team-leading eight home runs, including an inside-the-park home run, seven RBI, two walks, four stolen bases, and nine runs scored.
Olivares took sole possession of the home runs category in the Texas League after his three-home run afternoon on Sunday against Arkansas. His first of the afternoon was Amarillo's second inside-the-park home run in franchise history. He also became the first Sod Poodles player in franchise history to record a three-home run game and also became the third Sod Poodles player this season to collect a multi-home run game.
Olivares was voted as a Mid-Season All-Star with High-A Lake Elsinore last season as well as a MiLB Organizational All-Star (Toronto) in 2017. Olivares was also selected as player of the week in the Midwest League for the week of July 9 in 2017.
Olivares is the second Sod Poodles player in the franchise history to earn the league's weekly top player award. The weekly honor marks the second of his career.
Images from this story
Amarillo Sod Poodles outfielder Edward Olivares
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Drillers Drop Series Opener to the Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Seven-Run Third Propels Naturals to Victory - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Kruczynski, Cards Top Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Riders Edged by Hooks Monday Night - Frisco RoughRiders
- Carlos Martinez Expected to Rehab in Springfield on Wednesday - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Outfielder Edward Olivares Named Texas League Player of the Week - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Sod Poodles Fall in South Texas - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Perez Named Texas League Pitcher of the Week - Springfield Cardinals
- Ramirez, Bullpen Snap Skid in South Texas - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Abraham Toro Named TL Player of the Week - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Anatomy of a Catch: How Hooks' Chas McCormick Went Viral - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Former Astros Broadcaster Bill Brown to Join Hooks Booth Monday & Tuesday - Corpus Christi Hooks
- RockHounds Fall in Extras to Frisco - Midland RockHounds
- Homestand Highlights: May 13 - May 19 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Amarillo Sod Poodles Stories
- Sod Poodles Infielder Owen Miller Named Texas League Player of the Week
- Sod Poodles Walk-Off on Drillers to Keep First-Half Clinch Hopes Alive
- Kohlwey, Miller Lead the Way in Sod Poodles 11-6 Victory over Drillers
- Sod Poodles Fall 4-1 in Series Opener with Drillers
- Seven Sod Poodles Players Named 2019 Texas League All-Stars