Perez Named Texas League Pitcher of the Week
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - The Texas League has announced Springfield Cardinals right-handed pitcher Williams Perez as Pitcher of the Week for May 6-12.
Perez, 27, was 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA over two starts last week, striking out 11 over 13.0 innings.
Perez allowed one run on two hits over 7.0 innings against the Northwest Arkansas Naturals on May 12, striking out six and walking just two. On May 6 at Frisco he threw 6.0 scoreless innings, striking out five while allowing just a single hit and five walks.
The Acarigua, Venezuela native is 4-1 with a 4.30 ERA and 1.36 WHIP this season, striking out 46 in 44.0 innings. Over his past five starts, Perez has allowed just eight runs over 32.0 innings (2.25 ERA).
Perez was signed by St. Louis to a Minor League contract on Nov. 19, 2018 after spending the 2018 season in the Seattle Mariners system with Tacoma (AAA) and Arkansas (AA). Over the 2015 and 2016 seasons, he started 31 games for the Atlanta Braves.
Perez is the first Cardinals pitcher to earn Pitcher of the Week honors since RHP Anthony Shew won the award for the week of July 16-22, 2018.
Teacher Night T-Shirt Deadline is May 16
Don't miss out on IPA Educational Supply Teacher Night on Friday, May 31 when the Cardinals take on the Northwest Arkansas Naturals at 7:10pm.
The Teacher Night T-Shirt and Ticket Package starts at just $15* and includes:
- One Field Box or Dugout Box Seat to the Friday, May 31st game
- One Cardinals/Teacher Themed T-Shirt (S-XXXL available)
*Fans must order their package by Thursday, May 16th to ensure their t-shirt size. Sizes range from Adult Small - Adult XXXL (add $2 for XXL-XXXL). T-Shirts may not be ordered separately. Add-on tickets to your package are only $9 once you've purchased a t-shirt pack. Upgraded seating options are available at an additional cost. Limitations may apply.
This game also features Fans-on-Field Fireworks with 20th Anniversary of 1999 Songs and Missouri Lottery Baseball Bingo!
IPA Educational Supply Teacher Night tickets can be purchased in the ticketing link below or by calling 417-863-2143.
IPA Educational Supply is a place that goes beyond being a retail store and provides hand selected, top quality educational toys, games and tools. They have the brands that you know and trust like, Carson Dellosa, Melissa and Doug, Crayola, Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty and so many more! IPA strives to provide teachers, parents, children and our community with products that help them Inspire, Play and Achieve. Visit www.ipaeducational.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Drillers Drop Series Opener to the Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Seven-Run Third Propels Naturals to Victory - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Kruczynski, Cards Top Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Riders Edged by Hooks Monday Night - Frisco RoughRiders
- Carlos Martinez Expected to Rehab in Springfield on Wednesday - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Outfielder Edward Olivares Named Texas League Player of the Week - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Sod Poodles Fall in South Texas - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Perez Named Texas League Pitcher of the Week - Springfield Cardinals
- Ramirez, Bullpen Snap Skid in South Texas - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Abraham Toro Named TL Player of the Week - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Anatomy of a Catch: How Hooks' Chas McCormick Went Viral - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Former Astros Broadcaster Bill Brown to Join Hooks Booth Monday & Tuesday - Corpus Christi Hooks
- RockHounds Fall in Extras to Frisco - Midland RockHounds
- Homestand Highlights: May 13 - May 19 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- It's Your Last Day to #FlyTogether for Frontline Workers
- 2020 Season, Membership and Ticket Updates
- Cardinals Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Cardinals, CBCO to Host Blood Drive April 20-24: #FlyTogether
- Cardinals Launch First-Ever FREE Kids Club