Sod Poodles Fall in South Texas
Corpus Christi, Texas - The Sod Poodles were handed their second consecutive loss on Friday night at Whataburger Field, falling 9-2 to the Corpus Christi Hooks.
Amarillo jumped in front to a 1-0 edge on Owen Miller's RBI double in the first inning, but that was the only run Corpus Christi righty Jose Hernandez-Urquidy would allow.
The Hooks responded against righty T.J. Weir in the bottom half. With two on, Abraham Toro ripped a two-run double to give Corpus Christi a 2-1 lead.
In the fourth, Weir allowed a two-run single to Ronnie Dawson and later a two-run homer to Toro. The Hooks led 6-1 after four frames.
Dauris Valdez replaced Weir in the fifth. He surrendered an RBI hit to Carmen Benedetti, a run-scoring sac fly to Anibal Sierra, and a solo homer to Osvaldo Duarte. The Hooks jumped out to a 9-1 lead.
Kazuhisa Makita replaced Valdez in the fifth and would go on to be a bright spot out of Amarillo's bullpen, tossing 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Meanwhile, righty Bryan Abreu replaced Hernandez-Urquidy after his five frames of one-run ball. Abreu tossed scoreless sixth and seventh innings.
In the eighth, Brad Zunica greeted Abreu with a deep solo shot to right field. It was Zunica's first long ball since April 9 and his sixth of the season.
Paco Rodriguez pitched a scoreless eighth out of Amarillo's bullpen while Hooks righty Brendan Feldmann closed the game with a scoreless ninth to secure Corpus Christi's 9-2 win.
The Sod Poodles and Hooks continue their four-game series on Saturday night at Whataburger Field. First pitch is at 7:15 p.m. Right-hander Miguel Diaz makes his second rehab start for the San Diego Padres in a Sod Poodles uniform.
The game is aired on 940 AM KIXZ and via streaming platforms. Sam Levitt has the play-by-play call with coverage beginning at 6:55 p.m.
Zunica Goes Deep: A bright spot of Friday night's loss was Brad Zunica's solo home run in the eighth inning. It was Zunica's sixth home run of the season and his first since a two home run game at HODGETOWN on April 9.
More Hits for Huddy: Hudson Potts delivered a two-run single in Thursday's game at Corpus Christi. Potts entered Thursday's action hitting .346 in his last 12 games with 10 RBI.
Twice is Nice: Edward Olivares collected HODGETOWN's second inside-the-park home run Sunday afternoon in game two against Arkansas. The first of the season came off the bat of Buddy Reed on April 12 versus Corpus Christi at HODGETOWN.
Leading the Way: With Olivares' three home runs Sunday - an inside-the-park home run, two-run homer in the second and solo shot in the fourth, he takes sole possession of the team-lead in home runs with eight. Olivares also owns the most home runs in the Texas League as of Sunday.
HR-HR-HR: Edward Olivares became the first Sod Poodles player in franchise history to record a three-home run game. He also became the third Sod Poodles player this season to collect a multi-home run game, joining in with Brad Zunica who reached the feat first on April 9 versus Midland and Jorge Oña who did it on April 20 against Corpus Christi.
A Trio of Trio: Edward Olivares collected his second consecutive three-hit game Sunday afternoon after doing the same Saturday night while Hudson Potts also collected his second three-hit game of 2019. On Saturday, Kyle Overstreet and Ivan Castillo collected three-hit games as well.
Hit For You, Hit For All: Every player in the Sod Poodles lineup on Sunday afternoon recorded a hit, marking the first time the team has reached the feat.
Diaz Rehab Recap: In his first MLB rehab start with Amarillo, Miguel Diaz tossed 61 pitches over three innings Sunday afternoon, allowing two hits, no runs, three walks while striking out two.
Hot Pot: Padres number 15-rated prospect Hudson Potts has swung a hot bat lately, batting .423 (11-for-26) over his last six games with three doubles, two home runs, and five RBI.
Reed All About It: Outfielder Buddy Reed collected his first extra-base hit, a double, on Sunday afternoon in his first at-bat. It marked his first double since April 15 at Midland.
Zunica at Home: First baseman Brad Zunica recorded his first hit at HODGETOWN since April 13 against Corpus Christi (1-for-4).
Home Sweet Home: Edward Olivares has made HODGETOWN home this season as he's batting .370 (20-for-54) in 13 games in downtown Amarillo. Olivares has belted six home runs, five doubles, and has swiped five bags at HODGETOWN.
Overstreet Continues: Kyle Overstreet collected his first and second multi-hit games of the 2019 season over consecutive games on Saturday and Sunday with his three-hit night and two-hit game respectively. He knocked his second and third doubles of the season Saturday and Sunday respectively as well.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Drillers Drop Series Opener to the Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Seven-Run Third Propels Naturals to Victory - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Kruczynski, Cards Top Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Riders Edged by Hooks Monday Night - Frisco RoughRiders
- Carlos Martinez Expected to Rehab in Springfield on Wednesday - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Outfielder Edward Olivares Named Texas League Player of the Week - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Sod Poodles Fall in South Texas - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Perez Named Texas League Pitcher of the Week - Springfield Cardinals
- Ramirez, Bullpen Snap Skid in South Texas - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Abraham Toro Named TL Player of the Week - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Anatomy of a Catch: How Hooks' Chas McCormick Went Viral - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Former Astros Broadcaster Bill Brown to Join Hooks Booth Monday & Tuesday - Corpus Christi Hooks
- RockHounds Fall in Extras to Frisco - Midland RockHounds
- Homestand Highlights: May 13 - May 19 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Amarillo Sod Poodles Stories
- Sod Poodles Calling All 'Sod Pups' for 2021 Season
- Midland to Cap off Texas Concert Tour in Downtown Amarillo
- Amarillo Sod Poodles Receive Affiliate Invitation from Arizona Diamondbacks
- The Salvation Army collaborates with other organizations for Thanksgiving
- Flatland Cavalry Concert at Hodgetown this Friday