SeaWolves Split Twin Bill at Reading
The SeaWolves scored a pair of late runs to take down the Reading Fightin Phils in game two of Tuesday's doubleheader, 5-3.
The SeaWolves jumped ahead in the third inning against Fightins starter Bailey Falter. Luke Burch led off with a single and moved to second on a Cole Peterson walk. Derek Hill hit into a fielder's choice with Peterson being retired at second, putting runners on the corners. Isaac Paredes grounded out, scoring Burch for a 1-0 lead. Jose Azocar followed with a base hit to right, scoring Hill for a 2-0 lead. Frank Schwindel singled to push Azocar into scoring position. Kade Scivicque doubled home Azocar for a 3-0 advantage.
Erie spot starter Trent Szkutnik was brilliant in his first three innings of work as he fired three scoreless and faced one over the minimum. He ran into trouble in the fourth. Mickey Moniac and Darick Hall started the inning with back-to-back singles and Austin Listi connected on a three-run home run, tying the game 3-3.
Reading threatened in the sixth against Erie reliever Joe Navilhon. Hall led off with a walk and Listi singled for his third hit of the game. Ethan DeCaster came in and struck out Grenny Cumana and induced a double play off the bat of Cornelius Randolph to get out of the frame with no damage.
The SeaWolves regained the lead in the top of the seventh against reliever Jonathan Hennigan. With one out and Hill on first, Paredes doubled down the right field line, scoring the runner for a 4-3 lead. With two outs, Schwindel singled home Paredes for a 5-3 advantage.
Drew Carlton worked a scoreless seventh to earn his fourth save in as many chances.
DeCaster (1-0) earned his first Erie win after retiring the final three outs of the sixth inning.
Hennigan (0-1) took the loss allowing two runs on three hits in two innings.
The SeaWolves dropped the resumption of a suspended game from May 30 in 10 innings by a 5-4 final.
Reading took the lead in the third against Logan Shore. Grenny Cumana led off with a single and Austin Bossart walked. Jose Gomez sacrificed the runners into scoring position. Arquimendes Gamboa singled home Cumana for a 1-0 lead. Gamboa stole second and on a throwing error by Chace Numata, Bossart scored from third for a 2-0 lead. Luke Williams walked and Darick Hall followed with a base hit, scoring Gamboa to make it 3-0. Williams scored on a passed ball to cap a four-run inning for the Fightins.
The SeaWolves chipped away at the Reading advantage. In the top of the fourth against Jose Tavares, Jose Azocar singled with one out and moved to second on a Josh Lester bunt. Cam Gibson singled home Azocar making it 4-1.
Derek Hill led off the sixth and was hit by a pitch and would later score on a double play ball to make it a 4-2 game.
The SeaWolves then tied the game in the top of the eighth against Addison Russ. Hill led off, reached on an error and stole second. Isaac Paredes singled, moving Hill to third. A wild pitch plated Hill and moved Paredes into scoring position. Azocar followed and rocketed an infield single off the glove of the third baseman and on a throwing error, Paredes scored to tie the game.
The game remained tied into extra frames. The SeaWolves failed to score in the top of the 10th, giving Reading a chance for a walk-off win. Cornelius Randolph was the free runner at second and he moved to third on an Austin Listi single. Erie opted to intentionally walk Josh Stephen to set up a force at every base. Cumana followed with a liner to straight away center that scored Randolph for a 5-4 win.
Connor Brogdon (1-1) earned the win for Reading tossing two perfect innings in relief.
Zac Houston (0-1) took the loss allowing an unearned run in the 10th.
Shore took the no-decision, snapping a three-game losing streak. He allowed four runs, three earned, on eight hits with four walks and three strikeouts.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Walk-Off Blast Caps 4-2 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Ducks Take Bite out of Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Rally Late, Even Series with Curve - Altoona Curve
- Faedo Stops Fightins Again - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Hold Early Advantage - Akron RubberDucks
- Braymer Tosses 8 No-Hit Frames in Sens Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Faedo K's 10 and the Bullpen Shines in Reading - Erie SeaWolves
- 'Dogs Get Even with a 6-1 Win over Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Abreu Deals Six Solid Innings in 7-2 Win over Binghamton - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup at Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 12th at Altoona Curve - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (33-25) vs. Trenton Thunder (34-25) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightins Earn Split Against SeaWolves - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Split Twin Bill at Reading - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.