Faedo K's 10 and the Bullpen Shines in Reading
The SeaWolves took down the Reading Fightin Phils 2-1 on Wednesday night at First Energy Stadium to notch the series win.
The Fightins struck first in the second inning against Erie starter Alex Faedo. Austin Listi led off and belted a solo home run, his seventh, to left-center for a 1-0 lead. With one out, Grenny Cumana tripled and Faedo worked out of the jam with no further damage.
The SeaWolves took the lead in the top of the third against Reading starter Mauricio Llovera. Derek Hill singled with one out and Isaac Paredes was hit by a pitch to push Hill into scoring position. Jose Azocar then walked, loading the bases for Frank Schwindel. Schwindel lifted a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Hill, tying the game 1-1. Kade Scivicque followed with a two-out, RBI single, scoring Paredes for a 2-1 Erie advantage.
Once the SeaWolves grabbed the lead, Faedo buckled down and dominated the Fightins over his final four innings of work. He struck out the side in the third and went on to strike out nine hitters from the third through the sixth, finishing with 10 punchouts.
Erie turned to Will Vest and the bullpen in the seventh. Vest gave up a leadoff single to Listi but erased the baserunner on a double play off the bat of Cornelius Randolph. He induced a pop-out from Cumana to end the frame. In the eighth, Vest struck out Austin Bossart for the first out but walked Jose Gomez to put the tying run on base. He got Arquimendes Gamboa to hit into a 4-3 double play to retire the side.
Drew Carlton entered the game in the ninth, looking for his five save and second in as many games. Carlton gave up a leadoff single to Josh Stephen, bringing the winning run to the plate. He struck out Mickey Moniak for the first out, got Darick Hall to pop-out and struck out Listi to end the game, earning his fifth save in as many chances. He was the first Erie pitcher in the first two games of the series to retire Listi who had been 6-for-6 with a pair of home runs to that point. Carlton worked in consecutive games for the first time since May 7-8 against Akron.
Faedo (4-4) earned the win allowing a run on five hits with a walk and 10 strikeouts. It was the third time this season Faedo struck out 10 or more hitters in the game. He's also struck out 22 hitters in 12.1 innings of work against Reading.
Llovera (2-3) took the loss allowing two runs on six hits with two walks and eight strikeouts in six innings.
The SeaWolves will look for a series sweep on Thursday night at 7:10 p.m. RHP Casey Mize (6-0, 1.27 ERA) takes the mound for Erie against RHP Adonis Medina (4-2, 3.44 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Walk-Off Blast Caps 4-2 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Ducks Take Bite out of Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Rally Late, Even Series with Curve - Altoona Curve
- Faedo Stops Fightins Again - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Hold Early Advantage - Akron RubberDucks
- Braymer Tosses 8 No-Hit Frames in Sens Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Faedo K's 10 and the Bullpen Shines in Reading - Erie SeaWolves
- 'Dogs Get Even with a 6-1 Win over Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Abreu Deals Six Solid Innings in 7-2 Win over Binghamton - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup at Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 12th at Altoona Curve - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (33-25) vs. Trenton Thunder (34-25) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightins Earn Split Against SeaWolves - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Split Twin Bill at Reading - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.