Walk-Off Blast Caps 4-2 Win
BOWIE, Md. - Yusniel Diaz crushed a two-run, walk-off home run in the 10th inning to lift the Bowie Baysox to a 4-2 win over the New Hampshire Fisher Cats in front of 1,421 at Prince George's Stadium Wednesday night.
The Baysox (26-37) used a two-out rally in the first inning for the second straight game to take a 1-0 lead. Ademar Rifaela grounded his first triple of 2019 down the right field line to plate Diaz for his 26th RBI of the season.
University of Maryland product Kevin Smith lined a two-run double in the fourth inning to put New Hampshire (28-34) on top, 2-1, but Bowie instantly answered to tie the game in the bottom half of the frame. Brett Cumberland lined the second straight double of the inning to the right field corner, scoring Carlos Perez for his 15th RBI of the season.
The two-run fourth inning was the only offensive damage surrendered by Baysox starter Bruce Zimmermann. The lefty took a no-decision for the ninth time in 11 starts in 2019, allowing two runs on three hits in six innings. Zimmermann struck out five Fisher Cat batters and tied his season high in innings, while also recording his sixth quality start of the year.
Cristian Alvarado retired all nine batters faced, striking out four in three perfect innings. LHP Zach Muckenhirn earned the win by retiring the side and preventing the inherited runner to score from second base in the 10th inning.
With Chris Clare acting as the inherited runner in the bottom of the 10th, Mason McCoy dropped a sacrifice bunt to advance Clare to third base. Diaz stepped in with two outs and took Bryan Baker's 1-2 offering deep into the woods down the left field line for his second home of the season.
The season finale between Bowie and New Hampshire is slated for 6:35 p.m. Thursday night. RHP Marcos Molina takes on RHP Patrick Murphy during the inaugural Pride Night at the stadium. The night begins with another Baysox LIVE! Happy Hour, with live music and drink specials taking place in the left field picnic area from 5 - 6:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Walk-Off Blast Caps 4-2 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Ducks Take Bite out of Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Rally Late, Even Series with Curve - Altoona Curve
- Faedo Stops Fightins Again - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Hold Early Advantage - Akron RubberDucks
- Braymer Tosses 8 No-Hit Frames in Sens Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Faedo K's 10 and the Bullpen Shines in Reading - Erie SeaWolves
- 'Dogs Get Even with a 6-1 Win over Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Abreu Deals Six Solid Innings in 7-2 Win over Binghamton - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup at Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 12th at Altoona Curve - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (33-25) vs. Trenton Thunder (34-25) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightins Earn Split Against SeaWolves - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Split Twin Bill at Reading - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.