RubberDucks Hold Early Advantage
The Akron RubberDucks scored three runs in the first two innings to take the early lead and never looked back, defeating the Hartford Yard Goats, 5-1, Wednesday night at Canal Park.
Connor Marabell got the RubberDucks offense going early with an RBI double to center field, scoring Ka'ai Tom who reached on a broken-bat single. Marabell would then come around to score when Mitch Longo smacked a line drive single right back up the middle, giving Akron the early 2-0 lead in the first inning.
Akron RubberDucks starter Sam Hentges worked well in 3.2 innings, allowing only one run on four hits, walking three and striking out four Yard Goat batters before being ejected with two out in the fourth inning. Matt Whitehouse came on in relief of Hentges and was stellar, allowing only two hits in three innings of work and striking out four. Robert Broom and Kyle Nelson combined for 2.2 innings of hitless, scoreless to finish off the game in relief for the RubberDucks.
The RubberDucks utilized opportunistic scoring in the first and second innings to jump out ahead 3-0, with Connor Marabell responsible for driving in two of the three runs. Each Akron RubberDucks hitter collected at least one hit and four Ducks posted multi-hit games as the team totaled 15 base hits, three of which went for extra-base hits, off Hartford pitching. The Akron RubberDucks added two insurance runs in the bottom of the 8th on a Li-Jen Chu RBI single, bringing in Alex Call who led off the inning with a triple to the right field wall. Ka'ai Tom added his 31st RBI on the season with a bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the 8th to put the game out of reach, 5-1.
Ka'ai Tom has reached base safely in 22 straight games, which is the longest streak in the Eastern League and the longest by a RubberDuck this season ... Connor Marabell posted his fifth three-hit of the season, going 3-for-5 on the ... The RubberDucks collected 15 or more hits for the fourth time this season, with their highest hit total of the season being 17 (5/29@BOW)... Time of Game: 2:57... Attendance: 4,491
On the Pond
The RubberDucks will finish their three-game set with the Hartford Yard Goats Thursday night, before the Portland Sea Dogs come to Canal Park for their first visit of 2019. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App. Eli Morgan (4-0, 1.78) will be the starter for Akron as the RubberDucks face off against Ty Culbreth (3-6, 4.38) and Hartford.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Walk-Off Blast Caps 4-2 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Ducks Take Bite out of Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Rally Late, Even Series with Curve - Altoona Curve
- Faedo Stops Fightins Again - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Hold Early Advantage - Akron RubberDucks
- Braymer Tosses 8 No-Hit Frames in Sens Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Faedo K's 10 and the Bullpen Shines in Reading - Erie SeaWolves
- 'Dogs Get Even with a 6-1 Win over Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Abreu Deals Six Solid Innings in 7-2 Win over Binghamton - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup at Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 12th at Altoona Curve - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (33-25) vs. Trenton Thunder (34-25) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightins Earn Split Against SeaWolves - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Split Twin Bill at Reading - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.