Abreu Deals Six Solid Innings in 7-2 Win over Binghamton
BINGHAMTON, NY - The Thunder jumped out to a 5-0 lead across their first two innings and Albert Abreu delivered his third quality start of the season in a 7-2 win over the Binghamton Rumble Ponies on Wednesday night at NYSEG Stadium.
With the win, the Thunder ensured they will remain near the top of the Eastern Division standings. With a Hartford loss, the Thunder will stand alone in first place with a 0.5 game lead with five games remaining on the schedule in the first half which wraps up at the end of play on Tuesday, June 18.
Abreu allowed two hits in his outing, both to Rumble Ponies catcher Patrick Mazeika, and matched his season-high with eight strikes. Abreu's lone troublesome inning came in the fourth when the Ponies loaded the bases with a strikeout/wild pitch, a single and a hit batsman. Abreu came back to strike out Will Toffey for the first out of the inning and induced a fielder's choice groundout to allow the first run home for Binghamton. An Abreu throwing error allowed an unearned run to cross home for the only real offensive opportunity for Binghamton.
Abreu retired the final seven batters he faced and tossed 99 pitches to earn his third win of the season.
Hoy Jun Park went 2-for-3 with two walks and a stolen base and both Mandy Alvarez and Ben Ruta had two-run doubles in the first two innings to push the Thunder to their early 5-0 lead. Kellin Deglan added an RBI single in the fifth inning and Chris Gittens added a sacrifice fly in the seventh inning to cap the an 12-hit night for the Thunder offense. Gittens ranks fourth in the league with 37 runs batted in on the season with his two RBI on Wednesday night.
Ruta, Gittens, and Alvarez each drove in a pair in the victory as the Thunder recorded 10+ hits in consecutive games for the third time this season.
Your Thunder continue their road trip on Thursday night at 6:35pm against the Rumble Ponies. RHP Nick Nelson (1-1, 3.38) will start for the Thunder, RHP Tommy Wilson (0-2, 9.24) will go for Binghamton. Pre-game coverage begins at 6:20pm on 920 AM The Jersey and online www.TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Walk-Off Blast Caps 4-2 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Ducks Take Bite out of Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Rally Late, Even Series with Curve - Altoona Curve
- Faedo Stops Fightins Again - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Hold Early Advantage - Akron RubberDucks
- Braymer Tosses 8 No-Hit Frames in Sens Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Faedo K's 10 and the Bullpen Shines in Reading - Erie SeaWolves
- 'Dogs Get Even with a 6-1 Win over Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Abreu Deals Six Solid Innings in 7-2 Win over Binghamton - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup at Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 12th at Altoona Curve - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (33-25) vs. Trenton Thunder (34-25) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightins Earn Split Against SeaWolves - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Split Twin Bill at Reading - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.