Santa Cruz Warriors Win 101-97 over Greensboro Swarm; Secure 200th Franchise Win
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (31-14) defeated the Greensboro Swarm (22-23) tonight 101-97 behind Kendrick Nunn's 24 points. With the win, the Sea Dubs secured their 200th regular season franchise win to improve to 200-145 all-time (.580) in seven seasons.
Nunn's team-high 24 points off the bench came on 9-of-16 shooting from the floor (56.2 percent FG) to go along with three steals. Guard Darius Morris secured 17 points to go with four rebounds and six assists, while center Deyonta Davis logged eight points on 4-of-5 from the field and nine rebounds. Guard Will Cherry added 11 points, three rebounds and five assists, with eight of his points coming in the fourth quarter.
Center Chinanu Onuaku led the Swarm with 21 points on 9-of-16 from the field (56.2 percent FG) with a game-high 14 rebounds and two blocks. Guard Tyler Nelson followed with 18 points and four rebounds, with all six of his buckets coming from behind the three-point line (6-of-10 3FG). Forward Sam Thompson scored 12 points in 19 minutes, with all his points coming in the third quarter. The Swarm relied heavily on the three ball tonight, shooting 30.2% (13-43) from the three-point line.
The Warriors defense held Greensboro to 21 points in the first quarter, just two away from their season-low, on 34.6 percent shooting (9-of-26 FG) and 18.2 percent from three (2-of-11 3FG) to take a 28-21 lead. Darius Morris led the Warriors with eight points in the period, shooting 4-of-5 from the field to go along with four assists.
Onuaku's dominant first half, featuring 12 points and nine rebounds, kept the Swarm deficit within single digits, 52-43. Morris and Nunn carried the Warriors offense, both scoring 10 points on 4-of-6 from the field.
The Swarm opened the third quarter on a 14-5 run to tie the game 57-57 to force a Warriors time out. Onuaku and Thompson scored 21 of Greensboro's 26 third quarter points, but Santa Cruz went on a 12-3 run to help keep a narrow third quarter lead, 72-69.
A back-and-forth fourth quarter saw the Swarm take a five-point lead 85-80 with eight minutes remaining thanks to two Nelson threes. The Sea Dubs then responded with a 19-4 run, with back-to-back threes by Nunn to secure the win.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will host the Austin Spurs at Kaiser Permanente Arena this Friday, March 15 (tip-off 7:00 p.m. PST, NBC Sports Bay Area), with the first 1,500 fans in attendance receiving a Warriors blanket, courtesy of A Tool Shed Equipment Rentals. For tickets to Friday night's matchup against the defending NBA G League Champions, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 14, 2019
- Mad Ants Take First of Two-Game Set from Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Gansey Reaches 100 Wins as Mad Ants Take Care of Go-Go in D.C. - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Jarrett Jack to Miss Remainder of Season - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Phoenix Suns Assign Elie Okobo to NAZ Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Charge Rally to Overtime Win in Toronto - Canton Charge
- Austin Spurs to Host Annual Central Texas High School All-Star Games - Austin Spurs
- Wolves Take Down Spurs in Come-From-Behind Victory - Austin Spurs
- Knicks Clinch 2019 NBA G League Playoff Berth - G League
- Legends Release 10-Year Celebration Logo - Texas Legends
- Los Angeles Clippers Sign Justin Bibbs to 10-Day Contract - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Add Duo of Johnson & Richardson - Canton Charge
- Santa Cruz Warriors Win 101-97 over Greensboro Swarm; Secure 200th Franchise Win - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Herd Wins Double-Overtime Thriller against Blue Coats - Wisconsin Herd
- Blue Coats Drop Double OT Thriller in Wisconsin - Delaware Blue Coats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors Graduation Week, Presented by Santa Cruz County Bank
- Santa Cruz Warriors Release Limited Edition T-Shirt
- Warriors and Togo's Donate Lunch to Second Harvest Food Bank
- Blondie Announces New Kaiser Permanente Arena Date - Sunday, September 13
- Warriors' Isaiah Reese Playing for Virtual Championship