Blue Coats Drop Double OT Thriller in Wisconsin
OSHKOSH, WI - The Delaware Blue Coats (19-25), the NBA G League affiliate of the Philadelphia 76ers, fell to the Wisconsin Herd (11-34), 148-144, in double overtime on the road on Wednesday night. The Blue Coats scored a season-high 144 points in the loss, as seven players reached double figures.
76ers two-way contract player Shake Milton posted a team-high 35 points (13-23 fg, 2-4 3fg, 7-10 ft) with four rebounds and a season-high 13 assists in 38 minutes before fouling out. Milton now has three games with double-digit assists in his rookie campaign. Jared Brownridge finished one point shy of his season high with 30 points (11-17 fg, 7-12 3fg, 1-3 ft) in 32 minutes off the bench for the Blue Coats. Brownridge recorded seven three-point field goals for the second-straight contest and sixth time this season. The Santa Clara product continues to pace the NBA G League in triples, as he's now up to 167 overall.
D.J. Hogg and Matt Farrell joined Brownridge in having big games off the bench for the Blue Coats. Hogg scored 21 points (6-13 fg, 5-12 3fg, 4-4 ft) in 28 minutes, while Farrell neared a double-double with 16 points (7-12 fg, 1-3 3fg, 1-1 ft) and nine assists in 26 minutes. Norvel Pelle started for Delaware and racked up his seventh straight double-double with 14 points (7-10 fg) and 10 rebounds in 21 minutes of action.
76ers two-way contract player Haywood Highsmith (10 points, eight rebounds) and Rashad Vaughn (10 points, five rebounds) rounded out the scorers in double figures for the Blue Coats.
The Blue Coats led by as many as 18 points with 1:24 to go before halftime, but the Herd scored eight-straight points to cut the deficit to 10, 67-57, at the break.
Wisconsin's Trae Bell-Haynes drained a three-pointer at the third quarter buzzer to trim Delaware's lead to 102-101 heading into the fourth. With only 5.8 seconds remaining in regulation, the Blue Coats trailed 132-129 as Milton was fouled while shooting a three. Milton missed the first free throw, but sank the final two. The Blue Coats then fouled Christian Wood with 4.0 seconds left, and the former Delaware player extended the Herd's lead to three, 134-131, with a pair of makes.
Milton took the ensuing inbounds pass down the court and found Hogg on the right wing, where the 6-9 wing promptly executed a pump fake and knocked down a three at the buzzer to force overtime. It was Hogg's third triple in the final 20.6 seconds of the fourth quarter.
The teams scored just three points apiece in the first two-minute extra session. Brownridge made a three-point jumper for the Blue Coats with 12.9 seconds remaining to tie the game at 137 and head to a second overtime.
The Herd went on to outscore the Blue Coats 11-7 in the second overtime period. Xavier Munford hit a three to give the home team a 145-142 lead with 26.0 seconds to go and later iced the game with two made free throws.
On assignment from the Milwaukee Bucks, Wood notched a double-double with a game-high 39 points (12-20 fg, 0-2 3fg, 15-19 ft), 17 rebounds and three blocked shots in 41 minutes for the Herd. Michael Qualls posted a career-high 37 points (14-24 fg, 6-12 3fg, 3-5 ft) in 42 minutes, while Munford added a double-double with 26 points (8-17 fg, 4-5 3fg, 6-9 ft) and 10 assists to go along with six rebounds in 40 minutes.
Delaware's bench outscored Wisconsin's reserves 71-25 in the contest.
The Blue Coats look to bounce back when the team closes out its two-game road trip by visiting the Windy City Bulls on Friday night at 8:00 PM ET. The team then returns home to 76ers Fieldhouse for a Saturday night matchup against the Raptors 905 at 7:00 PM.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 14, 2019
- Mad Ants Take First of Two-Game Set from Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Gansey Reaches 100 Wins as Mad Ants Take Care of Go-Go in D.C. - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Jarrett Jack to Miss Remainder of Season - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Phoenix Suns Assign Elie Okobo to NAZ Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Charge Rally to Overtime Win in Toronto - Canton Charge
- Austin Spurs to Host Annual Central Texas High School All-Star Games - Austin Spurs
- Wolves Take Down Spurs in Come-From-Behind Victory - Austin Spurs
- Knicks Clinch 2019 NBA G League Playoff Berth - G League
- Legends Release 10-Year Celebration Logo - Texas Legends
- Los Angeles Clippers Sign Justin Bibbs to 10-Day Contract - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Add Duo of Johnson & Richardson - Canton Charge
- Santa Cruz Warriors Win 101-97 over Greensboro Swarm; Secure 200th Franchise Win - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Herd Wins Double-Overtime Thriller against Blue Coats - Wisconsin Herd
- Blue Coats Drop Double OT Thriller in Wisconsin - Delaware Blue Coats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.