Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Capital City Go-Go 120-116 to Secure Pacific Division Title
SANTA CRUZ, CA -The Santa Cruz Warriors (32-16) defeated the Capital City Go-Go (24-25) tonight 120-116 to secure the Pacific Division title for the second time in franchise history.
Warriors two-way guard Damion Lee secured a team-high 28 points tonight to go with five rebounds and seven assists. Guard Kendrick Nunn scored 18 points off the bench, including 10 of the team's 18 points in the fourth quarter. Two-way forward Marcus Derrickson logged 17 points, including a career-high 5-of-5 from behind the arc, in 26 minutes.
All five Go-Go starters reached double figures tonight, including 32 points from two-way guard Jordan McRae. Denver Nuggets forward Tyler Lydon, currently on a flex assignment with Capital City, secured 20 points and a game-high 13 rebounds.
Santa Cruz scored a season-high 38 points in the first quarter, courtesy of six made threes in the period (6-of-9 3FG) to take a 15-point lead. Capital City narrowed the halftime deficit to 69-59 by drawing 11 Warriors fouls in the second period and shooting 15-of-16 from the line.
Two-way guards Damion Lee and Jordan McRae each scored nine points in the third, with Lee not missing a shot in the quarter, as Santa Cruz led 102-89 heading into the fourth quarter. Capital City brought their deficit to within three points in the waning seconds but could not mount the comeback. With the loss, the Go-Go fall out of playoff contention, while the Warriors currently control the #2 seed in the Western Conference.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will conclude the 2018-19 regular season with a back-to-back set against the Agua Caliente Clippers at Kaiser Permanente Arena this weekend. The Warriors will host a Tie Dye Charitable Jersey Night, presented by Awe Sum Organics, this Friday, March 22, with the first 1,500 fans in attendance receiving a Warriors Tie Dye Rally Towel. For tickets to Friday night and to all Warriors home games, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 21, 2019
- Kornet Shines in Assignment; Knicks Beat Red Claws - Westchester Knicks
- Swarm Falter to Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Greensboro Swarm
- Knicks Top Red Claws Down the Stretch - Maine Red Claws
- Swarm to Host Fan Appreciation Night, Presented by Allegacy Federal Credit Union - Greensboro Swarm
- Detroit Pistons Recall Khyri Thomas and Svi Mykhailiuk from Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Santa Cruz Warriors Playoff Tickets Available Today - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Delaware Blue Coats to Host Pro Wrestling Extravaganza in Season's Final Home Stand - Delaware Blue Coats
- Blue Coats Defeat Drive with 144 Points in Road Finale - Delaware Blue Coats
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Capital City Go-Go 120-116 to Secure Pacific Division Title - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Drive Headed Back to Playoffs - Grand Rapids Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Recovery Resource Center at Kaiser Permanente Arena to Reduce Hours
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Become Recovery Resource Center for Victims Affected by the Czu Lightning Complex Fire
- Santa Cruz Warriors Awarded 2019-20 NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for Sea Dub Classics Program
- Santa Cruz Warriors Raise over $5,000 for Community Foundation Santa Cruz County COVID-19 Local Response Fund