Swarm Falter to Fort Wayne Mad Ants
(GREENSBORO, N.C.) - John Gillon scored a game-high 28 points for the Greensboro Swarm, the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets, but it was not enough to overcome the eight double-digit scorers of the Fort Wayne Mad Ants in a, 127-115, defeat on Thursday at the Fieldhouse at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. Greensboro and Fort Wayne now have identical records, 23-26.
The game was tight heading into the fourth quarter. However, Fort Wayne jumped to a double figure lead, 103-92, after an 11-0 run with 9:13 remaining in the game. The Swarm climbed within six points of the Mad Ants down the stretch but 52 percent shooting (13-25 FG) by Fort Wayne in the quarter secured the win for the visitors. Fort Wayne managed to outscore the Swarm, 39-25, in the period.
Gillon's 28 points were the most he has scored as a member of the Swarm this season. He also had eight assists and three rebounds in 29 minutes. JP Macura had his ninth game of at least 20 points after scoring 20 on 8-of-16 shooting to go with four rebounds and four assists. Other double figure scorers for Greensboro included Isaiah Wilkins (13 points), Jaylen Barford (13), Zach Smith (10), Malik Pope (10) and Tyler Nelson (10).
For the Mad Ants, Stephan Hicks had a team-high 25 points, nine rebounds and three assists in 39 minutes. In addition to Hicks, the entire starting five all scored 10-plus - Davon Reed (17), Edmond Sumner (16), Alize Johnson (13), Omari Johnson (11). The Mad Ants' starters shot 51 percent in the game.
Greensboro returns to the Fieldhouse on Saturday, March 23, for the final game of the season. The Swarm host the Texas Legends at 7 p.m. in its annual Fan Appreciation Night.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 21, 2019
- Kornet Shines in Assignment; Knicks Beat Red Claws - Westchester Knicks
- Swarm Falter to Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Greensboro Swarm
- Knicks Top Red Claws Down the Stretch - Maine Red Claws
- Swarm to Host Fan Appreciation Night, Presented by Allegacy Federal Credit Union - Greensboro Swarm
- Detroit Pistons Recall Khyri Thomas and Svi Mykhailiuk from Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Santa Cruz Warriors Playoff Tickets Available Today - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Delaware Blue Coats to Host Pro Wrestling Extravaganza in Season's Final Home Stand - Delaware Blue Coats
- Blue Coats Defeat Drive with 144 Points in Road Finale - Delaware Blue Coats
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Capital City Go-Go 120-116 to Secure Pacific Division Title - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Drive Headed Back to Playoffs - Grand Rapids Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- The Fieldhouse to Serve as Early Voting Site as Part of Hornets Sports & Entertainment's "Swarm the Polls" Campaign
- Swarm to Not Extend Contract of Head Coach Joe Wolf
- Greensboro Swarm Statement
- Swarm, Allegacy Federal Credit Union Make Donation to Junior Achievement of the Triad
- Charlotte Hornets Foundation Announces Multi-Faceted Plan to Assist with COVID-19 Relief