Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Memphis Hustle 110-91 in School Day Matchup
SANTA CRUZ, CA -The Santa Cruz Warriors (24-8) defeated the Memphis Hustle (17-15) 110-91 in a school day matchup at the Landers Center this morning. Santa Cruz went on an 8-3 run in the month of January to secure their league-best record.
Warriors guard Kendrick Nunn secured 30 points today on 11-of-20 shooting (4-of-9 from three), his third 30 point game of the season off the bench. Fellow guard Will Cherry filled the stat sheet with 21 points, four rebounds, seven assists and four steals today, with Golden State Warriors assignment Jacob Evans III adding 18 points on 6-of-11 from the field. Forward Juan Toscano-Anderson had his third double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds in 30 minutes.
The Hustle had five players in double figures this morning, including two-way forward Yuta Watanabe's 18 points to go with five rebounds, three assists and three steals. Forward Kyle Casey added 14 points and nine rebounds, and guard Tarik Phillip had 10 points and six assists.
Cherry, Evans III and Nunn combined for 25 of the team's 29 points in the first quarter to take a six-point lead over the Hustle, 29-23. Santa Cruz broke the game open in the second quarter, holding Memphis to just 13 points on 5-of-21 from the field (23.8% FG) to take a 54-36 halftime lead.
Memphis kept the game within reach in the second half by scoring 20 of their 26 third-quarter points in the paint, including eight from center Doral Moore. The Hustle opened the fourth on a 9-3 run to bring the game to within 12, but Santa Cruz responded with Cherry's and-1 and eight straight points from Nunn to secure the morning win.
Santa Cruz will play next on Friday, February 1 against the 23-9 Oklahoma City Blue (5:00 p.m. PST, Facebook Live). The Warriors will host their next home game on Wednesday, February 6 against the Stockton Kings (tip-off 7:00 p.m., NBC Sports Bay Area Plus) for the team's annual Fellowship Night. For tickets to next Wednesday and all Warriors home games, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 30, 2019
- Stars Edge Skyforce to Begin Road Trip - Salt Lake City Stars
- Skyforce Falls to Stars in Final Minutes - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Blue Coats Drop Battle to Bulls - Delaware Blue Coats
- Windy City Defeats Delaware Blue Coats - Windy City Bulls
- BayHawks Rattle Vipers - Erie BayHawks
- Vipers Seven-Game Win Streak Snapped with Loss to Erie - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Johnson Suspended by Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Cameron Oliver to Miss Remainder of Season with Right Ankle Injury - Delaware Blue Coats
- Trey Davis Returns to Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Austin Spurs to Host Hoops 'N' Hounds Game Benefitting Texas Humane Heroes - Austin Spurs
- Red Claws Crawl Back to Snatch Victory from Charge - Canton Charge
- Hustle Stifled by Warriors for Third Straight Loss - Memphis Hustle
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Memphis Hustle 110-91 in School Day Matchup - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Acquires Jarvis Threatt and Connor Burchfield - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Red Claws Win 2nd Straight - Maine Red Claws
- Retin Obasohan Powers Suns Past Kings - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors to Host Three Hardwood Classics Nights
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Ryan Atkinson General Manager
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce 2019-20 Season Schedule
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Kris Weems Head Coach
- Golden State Warriors Sign Ky Bowman & Damion Lee to Two-Way Contracts