Hustle Stifled by Warriors for Third Straight Loss
Southaven, Miss. - The Memphis Hustle (17-15) dropped a 110-91 decision to the Santa Cruz Warriors Monday at Landers Center for the team's third straight loss. Santa Cruz moved to 24-8 and tightened its grip on first place in the Western Conference. Over 4,000 students from the DeSoto County area were in attendance for the team's annual Financial Literacy Education Day Game presented by Renasant Bank.
Memphis' 91 points mark a season-low for the team. It is the third straight game the team has been held below 100 points after being held below the century mark just once prior. Santa Cruz entered the game leading the league in defensive rating (98.0).
The Hustle fell behind early, starting slow in each of the first two quarters. Santa Cruz started the game on an 11-2 run and held a 29-23 lead after the first quarter. The Warriors opened the second frame on a 6-0 run and pushed the lead to 54-36 at halftime. Santa Cruz extended the lead to as many as 26 in the third quarter.
Grizzlies two-way player Yuta Watanabe led the Hustle with 18 points to go with four boards, three assists and three steals. Watanabe also knocked down 3-of-5 three-point attempts. Kyle Casey (14 points, nine rebounds) fell one rebound shy of a double-double. Tarik Phillip, Markel Crawford and Dusty Hannahs had 10 points apiece.
Kendrick Nunn scored a game-high 30 points in 32 minutes off the bench to lead the Warriors attack. Will Cherry added 21 points and a game-high seven assists. Warriors assignee Jacob Evans III posted 18 points. Juan Toscano-Anderson (13 points, 11 rebounds) posted a double-double for Santa Cruz.
The Hustle will take on Midwest Division rival Iowa Wolves on Saturday, February 2 at 7 p.m. at Wells Fargo Arena. The team returns to Landers Center on Monday, February 4 at 7 p.m. to take on the Agua Caliente Clippers. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 30, 2019
- Stars Edge Skyforce to Begin Road Trip - Salt Lake City Stars
- Skyforce Falls to Stars in Final Minutes - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Blue Coats Drop Battle to Bulls - Delaware Blue Coats
- Windy City Defeats Delaware Blue Coats - Windy City Bulls
- BayHawks Rattle Vipers - Erie BayHawks
- Vipers Seven-Game Win Streak Snapped with Loss to Erie - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Johnson Suspended by Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Cameron Oliver to Miss Remainder of Season with Right Ankle Injury - Delaware Blue Coats
- Trey Davis Returns to Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Austin Spurs to Host Hoops 'N' Hounds Game Benefitting Texas Humane Heroes - Austin Spurs
- Red Claws Crawl Back to Snatch Victory from Charge - Canton Charge
- Hustle Stifled by Warriors for Third Straight Loss - Memphis Hustle
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Memphis Hustle 110-91 in School Day Matchup - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Acquires Jarvis Threatt and Connor Burchfield - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Red Claws Win 2nd Straight - Maine Red Claws
- Retin Obasohan Powers Suns Past Kings - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Hustle Win Fourth Straight Game to Bolster Playoff Chances
- Crawford Leads Hustle Past Oklahoma City for Third Straight Win
- Hustle Fight off Surge from Sioux Falls, Earn Another Big Win
- Hustle Take Down First Place Warriors for Crucial Victory
- Hustle Drop Second Game of Back-To-Back to Salt Lake City