Red Claws Crawl Back to Snatch Victory from Charge
CANTON, OH - The Canton Charge (12-19), powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, fell late to the Maine Red Claws (10-19), 94-86 at the Canton Memorial Civic Center in frigid downtown Canton Wednesday morning. The Red Claws snapped an eight game losing streak to the Canton Charge dating back to January 19, 2017. Today's loss is the fourth consecutive for the Wine & Gold heading into a Saturday afternoon matchup with the Windy City Bulls at Quicken Loans Arena.
Red Claws guard Justin Bibbs opened the scoring with a deep three before the Charge responded with a 10-0 run. The Charge maintained the lead throughout the rest of the stanza, holding Maine to 24% shooting on 5-of-21 attempts. Maine's John Bohannon kept it close early with 11 first half points off of the bench on 4-of-5 shooting as the Charge held a 19-17 lead after 12 minutes.
Maine responded defensively in the second quarter, holding Canton to 31% shooting and limiting the Charge to just 1-of-8 from beyond the arc. Maine clawed back to take the lead back with 5:59 remaining with a 29-27 advantage. Red Claws forward Andrew White III scored the last seven points for the visitors late in the second to give Maine a 43-40 lead heading into the break.
The Charge opened the third quarter on a 10-2 run to retake the lead at 50-45. Trailing 56-49, the Red Claws answered with a 10-0 run to take at 59-56 lead with 3:34 remaining. Boston Celtics 2-Way forward P.J. Dozier scored 12 points and grabbed five rebounds in the third and Maine closed out the quarter with a 63-60 lead heading into the fourth.
Bibbs opened the fourth with a three ball to extend the visitors' lead to six points before a Canton 9-0 run gave back Canton the lead. Bibbs scored 16 of his game-high 30 points in the fourth to help close out the Charge and give the Red Claws their second straight victory overall and first versus Canton in nine tries.
Jaron Blossomgame lead the Charge with 28 points, nine rebounds and three blocks in 36 minutes of action. Cavaliers' 2-Way player Deng Adel made his Charge debut, notching a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds in 33 minutes of action. All five starters scored in double figures for the Charge.
Bibbs lead all scorers with 30 points for Maine. Dozier finished with 18 points, eight rebounds and six assists in an all-around effort. Bohannon lead Maine's bench with 21 points on 9-of-11 shooting while nabbing 11 rebounds in 29 minutes of action. Maine's bench outscored Canton's 27-14.
The Charge host the Windy City Bulls this Saturday, February 2nd for a 2:00 PM matchup at Quicken Loans Arena (TV: Facebook Live; Radio: 99.7 FM)! The first 5,000 fans into the arena will receive an exclusive Charge & Cavs "Ohio Basketball" three-quarter length sleeve shirt courtesy of Visit Canton. Fans attending the game can also enjoy $1 Sugardale hot dogs. Tickets start at just $5 and are on sale now at CantonCharge.com, TheQArena.com, any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart and the Quicken Loans Arena box office. VIP floor seating which includes food, beer, wine and soda is also available by calling 866-444-1944. Doors to The Q will open at 1:00 p.m. For Charge Nation Memberships, group outings, game day promotions and up-to-date information, head to CantonCharge.com or call 866-444-1944. The Canton Charge are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization and are also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Monsters of the American Hockey League, who play their games at Quicken Loans Arena in downtown Cleveland.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 30, 2019
- Stars Edge Skyforce to Begin Road Trip - Salt Lake City Stars
- Skyforce Falls to Stars in Final Minutes - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Blue Coats Drop Battle to Bulls - Delaware Blue Coats
- Windy City Defeats Delaware Blue Coats - Windy City Bulls
- BayHawks Rattle Vipers - Erie BayHawks
- Vipers Seven-Game Win Streak Snapped with Loss to Erie - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Johnson Suspended by Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Cameron Oliver to Miss Remainder of Season with Right Ankle Injury - Delaware Blue Coats
- Trey Davis Returns to Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Austin Spurs to Host Hoops 'N' Hounds Game Benefitting Texas Humane Heroes - Austin Spurs
- Red Claws Crawl Back to Snatch Victory from Charge - Canton Charge
- Hustle Stifled by Warriors for Third Straight Loss - Memphis Hustle
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Memphis Hustle 110-91 in School Day Matchup - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Acquires Jarvis Threatt and Connor Burchfield - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Red Claws Win 2nd Straight - Maine Red Claws
- Retin Obasohan Powers Suns Past Kings - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.