San Antonio FC Defeats New York Red Bulls II 2-1 on the Road
MONTCLAIR, NJ - San Antonio FC (10-6-7) earned their second consecutive road win, defeating the New York Red Bulls II (4-15-4) 2-1 on Wednesday night. A stellar goal from Jose Gallegos along with a Red Bulls II own goal helped pave the way for the three points.
"The Red Bulls are a high pressing very aggressive team, and so are we," said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "It's two teams that are the aggressors with and without the ball. But our guys demonstrated resilience and were able to close the game a man down, so I'm incredibly proud of the guys in the locker room."
After a furious start from the Red Bulls II that forced a brilliant save from Matthew Cardone, SAFC eventually were the first to strike in the 33rd minute. After midfielder Cam Lindley recovered the ball in midfield, his deflected pass found Gallegos who turned on the jets to steam past the defender and finish nicely into the bottom corner for the 1-0 lead. The Alamo City club entered halftime with the one goal lead before quickly doubling it at the start of the second half. A PC corner kick nearly found the head of Justin Dhillon before goalkeeper Samuel Joseph accidentally turned the ball into his own net.
After Mohammed Abu was sent off due to a second yellow card, Red Bulls II immediately capitalized and cut the lead in half in the 55th minute. However, SAFC would defend well and hold onto the lead to earn the road win in New Jersey.
SAFC will now head to Sacramento to take on Republic FC this Saturday, September 18 in what will be the final match of the team's four-game road trip.
SAFC: 1-0, Jose Gallegos 33'
SAFC: 2-0, Own Goal (Samuel Joseph) 48'
NYRB: 2-1, Kyle Zajec (Jeremy Rafanello assist) 55'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Justin Dhillon) 18'
NYRB: Yellow Card (John Wolyniec) 25'
NYRB: Yellow Card (Serge Ngoma) 25'
NYRB: Yellow Card (coaching staff) 25'
NYRB: Yellow Card (Mandela Egbo) 28'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Mohammed Abu) 37'
NYRB: Yellow Card (Daniel Edelman) 40'
SAFC: Red Card (Mohammed Abu) 53'
NYRB: Yellow Card (Juan Castillo) 64'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Joaquin Varela) 65'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Matthew Cardone) 90'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Joaquin Varela, Mitch Taintor, Kortne Ford; M: PC (c), Cam Lindley (Chris Lema 45'), Mohammed Abu, Connor Maloney; F: Marcus Epps, Jose Gallegos, Justin Dhillon (Nathan 62')
Substitutions not used: Carlos Mercado, Axel Sjoberg, Leo Torres, Shandon Hopeau
SAFC earned their second straight road victory and first ever win against Red Bulls II...with the win, SAFC is now 2-0-2 all-time against Eastern Conference opponents
SAFC has now won eight of its last 12 games, picking up 25 points over that span since July 17
SAFC forward Jose Gallegos was named SWBC Man of the Match after scoring the opening goal and adding four successful dribbles and three shots...the goal was the fourth of the season for the San Antonio native
SAFC defender Joaquin Varela helped lead the defense to a win, recording a team-high seven clearances to go with four interceptions and four possessions gained...both Varela and Mitch Taintor won 75.0 percent of their aerial duels in the victory
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 15, 2021
- Battery, Atlanta Share Points in 1-1 Draw - Charleston Battery
- Obregón Jr. Pushes Hartford to 2-0 Victory over Real Monarchs - Hartford Athletic
- Real Monarchs Fall 2-0 to Hartford Athletic - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Defeats New York Red Bulls II 2-1 on the Road - San Antonio FC
- Rising Hosts Las Vegas Lights FC Tonight at 7:30 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Republic FC and Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Partner to Award Scholarships to Local Students - Sacramento Republic FC
- September 18 Postponed, Home Match on October 15 Moved to October 16 - Hartford Athletic
- Know Your Opponent: San Antonio FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Travels to Take on Oakland Roots SC Wednesday Evening - Tacoma Defiance
- Austin's Own Sonny G Returns to Austin Bold FC - Austin Bold FC
- Local Artist Marco Estrada Puts Indomitable Spin on Popular Mexican Game - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC Signs Goalkeeper Carlos Saldaña - Sacramento Republic FC
- Rising Tries Its Luck vs Vegas at Wild Horse Pass - Phoenix Rising FC
- LouCity to Launch Line of Collectible Commemorative Tickets - Louisville City FC
- RDA Weekend Recap - September 11-12 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Forbes' Goal-Scoring Double Earns Team of the Week Honor - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- François and Sparrow Voted to Team of the Week - Miami FC
- Glasgow Rangers, Orange County Soccer Club Continue World-Class Partnership with Holiday Week Camps in Irvine - Orange County SC
- Oakland Roots vs. Tacoma Defiance Match Notes - Oakland Roots
- Battery to Celebrate Hometown Heroes Night September 22 - Charleston Battery
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC and Austin Bold FC Play to Scoreless Draw
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. Austin Bold FC
- San Antonio FC Clinches Playoff Berth for Second Consecutive Season
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Shares Points with FC Tulsa After 1-1 Draw at Toyota Field