Republic FC and Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Partner to Award Scholarships to Local Students
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - To kickoff Hispanic Heritage Month, Sacramento Republic FC and the Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Foundation (SACHCC) announced today that they are partnering to present the El Futuro Scholarship, which provides a $1,000 scholarship to two qualified and deserving students of Hispanic heritage from the Sacramento region.
"The Hispanic and Latinx communities are an integral part of the Sacramento region, and undoubtedly the soccer community," said Republic FC President and General Manager Todd Dunivant. "We are thrilled to partner with the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce to highlight and honor deserving students in the area."
"SACHCC is committed to supporting a diversified and educated workforce, and that starts with providing aid for students seeking a higher education," said Cathy Rodriguez Aguirre, SACHCC President and CEO. "This is a great opportunity to join with Republic FC for the second year to invest in our local youth and assist in their journey to make our community a better place for everyone."
Statistics show that the number of Hispanics pursuing a higher education has been steadily increasing since 2005. However, there are still significant disparities in graduation rates for Hispanics. At two-year institutions, students of Hispanic see graduation rates 2 percentage points lower than that of their white non-Hispanic peers, and that gap increases at four-year institutions - a 12 percent difference.
Additionally, the COVID-19 pandemic is causing many minority students to drop out of college or opt to not attend altogether. Recent enrollment data showed a five percent drop in Latino undergraduates in the fall of 2020, and lower rates of Hispanic high school graduates going straight to college.
Not only have people in minority communities contracted COVID-19 at higher rates, but because many adults in these communities tend be what we now consider "essential workers" or have lost their jobs in the service industry, many students are having to prioritize supporting their family - whether if be through providing childcare for younger siblings or entering the workforce earlier. Providing financial aid to students facing these tough decisions can turn these numbers around again.
Applicants must be currently enrolled at an eligible high school or in a minimum of six units at a California Community College, and intend to enroll in a four-year college of university, or a California Community College (minimum 12 units). Additionally, they must be of Hispanic origin, and live in the Sacramento Six-County Regional area - Sacramento, El Dorado, Placer, Sutter, Yolo, and Yuba counties. To apply or learn more about requirements and screening, visit SacRepublicFC.com/Scholarship. Applications must be submitted by Monday, October 4.
Throughout the month, Republic FC will be featuring the rich and vibrant Hispanic and Latinx culture in Sacramento through storytelling, merchandise, community initiatives, and more. The club will also celebrating "Noche Latina" at two upcoming matches - September 18 and October 13 - with special food options, giveaways, and on-field presentations. Tickets are available at SacRepublicFC.com/Tickets.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 15, 2021
- Battery, Atlanta Share Points in 1-1 Draw - Charleston Battery
- Obregón Jr. Pushes Hartford to 2-0 Victory over Real Monarchs - Hartford Athletic
- Real Monarchs Fall 2-0 to Hartford Athletic - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Defeats New York Red Bulls II 2-1 on the Road - San Antonio FC
- Rising Hosts Las Vegas Lights FC Tonight at 7:30 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Republic FC and Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Partner to Award Scholarships to Local Students - Sacramento Republic FC
- September 18 Postponed, Home Match on October 15 Moved to October 16 - Hartford Athletic
- Know Your Opponent: San Antonio FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Travels to Take on Oakland Roots SC Wednesday Evening - Tacoma Defiance
- Austin's Own Sonny G Returns to Austin Bold FC - Austin Bold FC
- Local Artist Marco Estrada Puts Indomitable Spin on Popular Mexican Game - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC Signs Goalkeeper Carlos Saldaña - Sacramento Republic FC
- Rising Tries Its Luck vs Vegas at Wild Horse Pass - Phoenix Rising FC
- LouCity to Launch Line of Collectible Commemorative Tickets - Louisville City FC
- RDA Weekend Recap - September 11-12 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Forbes' Goal-Scoring Double Earns Team of the Week Honor - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- François and Sparrow Voted to Team of the Week - Miami FC
- Glasgow Rangers, Orange County Soccer Club Continue World-Class Partnership with Holiday Week Camps in Irvine - Orange County SC
- Oakland Roots vs. Tacoma Defiance Match Notes - Oakland Roots
- Battery to Celebrate Hometown Heroes Night September 22 - Charleston Battery
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Late score sends Republic FC home with a point
- Republic FC Partners with Sacramento Covered to Host 21st Annual Healthy Sacramento Day at Heart Health Park
- What to Watch Across the USL Championship: Week 27
- Match Preview: Republic FC vs. Phoenix Rising FC
- Republic FC & SMUD Partner to Create STEM-Based Board Game to Launch in 10 Sacramento Region Schools