Rising Tries Its Luck vs Vegas at Wild Horse Pass
In its second comeback win of the season, Phoenix Rising defeated Galaxy II, 4-3, in LA on Saturday to improve to 14-3-5 overall. The road win gave the defending Western Conference Champions the fourth-best away mark this season (6-3-2), just one win behind Pittsburgh (7-3-3) for the top spot.
The leaders of the Pacific Division and Western Conference return home Wednesday vs. Las Vegas with a showdown against Orange County looming just three days later - a tough stretch of three games in eight days.
"After a poor performance against LA, we had a fantastic response late," said Rising head coach Rick Schantz. "The players showed a never-say-die attitude. To get three points and still be disappointed in our performance is right where we want to be right now. While we got three points on the road and you'll take that result however you can get it, we know we created enough chances to win by six or seven. We just weren't clinical. in our final third"
Phoenix certainly took its chances well in the first match against Vegas on May 22, winning comfortably, 5-1. However, in its most-recent match on Aug. 7 in Vegas, Lights FC finished strong, drawing, 2-2. Lights narrowly missed on a chance that rattled the crossbar, which would have made it a 3-2 loss for Rising.
Vegas, which sits last place in the Pacific Division, are on an eight-game losing streak. The club has not won or tied a match since the last meeting with Phoenix in August.
"Vegas' most veteran player, Mohamed Traore picked up a red card in their last match, so he'll be out," said Schantz. "It's so hard to prepare for games like this. LAFC played on Sunday and a few of Vegas' players were in the 18. The one thing I do know is they are very good technically, especially in attack. Vegas moves the ball well, but we will be able to take advantage of them on set pieces. We're big, powerful, we need to use that to our advantage."
"Everyone says we're a different team when we're at home, but the reality is we play on the best field in the league," said Schantz. "When we're on the road, everything is more difficult. When we play at home, we have a lot of good energy and excitement. I hope everyone comes out and takes advantage of the $3 deal. It should be fun."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 15, 2021
- Battery, Atlanta Share Points in 1-1 Draw - Charleston Battery
- Obregón Jr. Pushes Hartford to 2-0 Victory over Real Monarchs - Hartford Athletic
- Real Monarchs Fall 2-0 to Hartford Athletic - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Defeats New York Red Bulls II 2-1 on the Road - San Antonio FC
- Rising Hosts Las Vegas Lights FC Tonight at 7:30 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Republic FC and Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Partner to Award Scholarships to Local Students - Sacramento Republic FC
- September 18 Postponed, Home Match on October 15 Moved to October 16 - Hartford Athletic
- Know Your Opponent: San Antonio FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Travels to Take on Oakland Roots SC Wednesday Evening - Tacoma Defiance
- Austin's Own Sonny G Returns to Austin Bold FC - Austin Bold FC
- Local Artist Marco Estrada Puts Indomitable Spin on Popular Mexican Game - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC Signs Goalkeeper Carlos Saldaña - Sacramento Republic FC
- Rising Tries Its Luck vs Vegas at Wild Horse Pass - Phoenix Rising FC
- LouCity to Launch Line of Collectible Commemorative Tickets - Louisville City FC
- RDA Weekend Recap - September 11-12 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Forbes' Goal-Scoring Double Earns Team of the Week Honor - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- François and Sparrow Voted to Team of the Week - Miami FC
- Glasgow Rangers, Orange County Soccer Club Continue World-Class Partnership with Holiday Week Camps in Irvine - Orange County SC
- Oakland Roots vs. Tacoma Defiance Match Notes - Oakland Roots
- Battery to Celebrate Hometown Heroes Night September 22 - Charleston Battery
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.