Real Monarchs Fall 2-0 to Hartford Athletic
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Real Monarchs (4-15-4, 16 points) fell 2-0 to Eastern Conference foe, Hartford Athletic, at Dillon Stadium.
James Moberg made his 100th appearance for the Real Monarchs as a substitute in the 82nd minute, meanwhile Yekeson Subah made his club debut.
Hartford Athletic opened the scoring in the 30th minute with a goal from Juan Carlos Obregon Jr. to give the hosts a 1-0 lead. Danny Barrera pushed a through ball into the box and Obregon Jr. beat his defender to the pass before firing the ball into the back of the net. In the 43rd minute, Hartford sent a high-crossing ball into the box that bounced off two attacking players before Ibrahim Bancé rescued the Monarchs and headed the ball out for a corner. On the ensuing corner, Jeff Dewsnup made a diving save on a headed shot aimed at the top right corner to keep the Monarchs within striking distance, as the home side took the 1-0 advantage into the halftime break.
The Monarchs looked to level the match in the 62nd minute, but Josimar Quintero's shot from the top of the box missed wide of the post. The team looked to equalize once again after winning a foul in the 70th minute. Forward Max Mata restarted play quickly and found Daniel Flores making a run down the left-side of the pitch. Flores sent a blistering ball into the box that zipped across the face of goal, but the Monarchs were unable to get anything on it and the scoreline remained the same. Hartford Athletic came close to doubling the lead on a counter attack in the 81st minute, but Derek Dodson's shot was saved by Dewsnup. Two minutes later off of a Hartford Athletic set piece, Luka Prpa looped a ball into the box that redirected off of a defender and snuck inside the near post to extend the host's lead and give Hartford the 2-0 win.
UP NEXT: Real Monarchs remain on the road to take on New Mexico United at Isotopes Park on Saturday, September 18 at 7:30 p.m. MT. The match can be streamed on ESPN+.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
HFD: Juan Carlos Obregon Jr. (Danny Barrera) 30th minute: Controlling possession down the middle of the pitch, midfielder Justin Haak found midfielder Danny Barrera open in a small window. Turning toward the goal after receiving possession, Barrera pushed a through ball out in front of forward Juan Carlos Obregon Jr. and into the box. Obregon Jr. beat his defender to the ball and fired the right-footed shot into the top-left side of the net.
HFD: Daniel Flores (Own Goal) 83rd minute: Following a foul by the defense, Hartford Athletic earned a short corner on the right side of the pitch and Luka Prpa looped a hopeful ball into the pile. The ball deflected off of Monarchs defender Daniel Flores and snuck its way inside the near post and into the back of the net.
- Defender James Moberg entered the match as a second-half substitute, officially marking his 100th appearance for the Monarchs since joining the club in 2016.
- 17-year-old forward Yekeson Subah made his club debut for the Real Monarchs as a member of Head Coach Jamison Olave's starting XI in the match after officially signing with the Monarchs from the RSL Academy on September 14.
- Missing the match due to injury were goalkeeper Gavin Beavers, midfielder Sam Brown and forward Aris Briggs.
Match: Real Monarchs vs. Hartford Athletic
Date: September 15, 2021
Venue: Dillon Stadium; Hartford, Connecticut
Weather: Mostly cloudy and 81 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Monarchs 0 0 0
Hartford Athletic 1 1 2
HFD: Juan Carlos Obregon Jr. (Danny Barrera) 30'
HFD: Daniel Flores (Own Goal) 83'
Real Monarchs (5-2-3-1): Jeff Dewsnup; Haroun Conteh (Daniel Flores, 61'), Kevin Saucedo, Jaziel Orozco, Bret Halsey; Ibrahim Bancé (James Moberg, 82'), Christian Nydegger; Malik Johnson, Charlie Wehan, Seth Powder (Max Mata, 61'); Yekeson Subah (Josimar Quintero, 45')
Subs not used: Jimmy Slayton, Frankie Martinez, Julio Benitez
Hartford Athletic (4-5-1): Jeff Caldwell; Younes Boudadi, Thomas Janjigian, Walid Yacoubou, Nicolas Cardona; Preston Tabort Etaka (Gabriel Torres, 74'), Conor McGlynn, Justin Haak, Arthur Rogers (Luka Prpa, 68'), Danny Barrera (Derek Dodson, 75'); Juan Carlos Obregon Jr. (Walmer Martinez, 88')
Subs not used: Alejandro Lara, Kenan Hot, Bradford Jamieson
STATS SUMMARY: HFD / SLC
Shots: 16 / 12
Shots on Goal: 5 / 2
Saves: 2 / 4
Corner Kicks: 5 / 3
Fouls: 14 / 16
SLC: Jaziel Orozco (caution) 5'
SLC: Bret Halsey (caution) 45'+2'
SLC: Mirza Harambasic, Goalkeeper Coach (dismissal) 45'+3'
SLC: Kevin Saucedo (caution) 52'
SLC: Christian Nydegger (caution) 67'
HFD: Nicolas Cardona (caution) 69'
Referee: Kevin Broadley
Assistant Referees: Mike Nickerson, Jeremy Scheer
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 15, 2021
- Battery, Atlanta Share Points in 1-1 Draw - Charleston Battery
- Obregón Jr. Pushes Hartford to 2-0 Victory over Real Monarchs - Hartford Athletic
- Real Monarchs Fall 2-0 to Hartford Athletic - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Defeats New York Red Bulls II 2-1 on the Road - San Antonio FC
- Rising Hosts Las Vegas Lights FC Tonight at 7:30 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Republic FC and Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Partner to Award Scholarships to Local Students - Sacramento Republic FC
- September 18 Postponed, Home Match on October 15 Moved to October 16 - Hartford Athletic
- Know Your Opponent: San Antonio FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Travels to Take on Oakland Roots SC Wednesday Evening - Tacoma Defiance
- Austin's Own Sonny G Returns to Austin Bold FC - Austin Bold FC
- Local Artist Marco Estrada Puts Indomitable Spin on Popular Mexican Game - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC Signs Goalkeeper Carlos Saldaña - Sacramento Republic FC
- Rising Tries Its Luck vs Vegas at Wild Horse Pass - Phoenix Rising FC
- LouCity to Launch Line of Collectible Commemorative Tickets - Louisville City FC
- RDA Weekend Recap - September 11-12 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Forbes' Goal-Scoring Double Earns Team of the Week Honor - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- François and Sparrow Voted to Team of the Week - Miami FC
- Glasgow Rangers, Orange County Soccer Club Continue World-Class Partnership with Holiday Week Camps in Irvine - Orange County SC
- Oakland Roots vs. Tacoma Defiance Match Notes - Oakland Roots
- Battery to Celebrate Hometown Heroes Night September 22 - Charleston Battery
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs Draw 1-1 with Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs Host Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs Triumph 4-3 over Austin Bold FC
- Real Monarchs Welcome Austin Bold FC to Zions Bank Stadium
- Real Monarchs Earn Scoreless Draw against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC