Saltdogs Activate All-Star Infielder Cesar Valera
GRAND PRAIRIE, TX - The Lincoln Saltdogs announced today that they activated infielder Cesar Valera from the Inactive List. Yesterday, the team traded INF Omar Obregon to Windy City (Frontier League) for a player to be named later.
Valera will start his third season with the Saltdogs. The second baseman was one of the best hitters in the league in 2017, earning midseason and postseason All-Star awards. He led the team with a .327 batting average while hitting four home runs and collecting 52 RBIs. He racked up the extra-base hits, adding 19 doubles and seven triples to his numbers. Valera played in 98 of the team's 100 regular season games and was a whiz defensively, registering a .980 fielding percentage. The righty was excellent in the playoffs, too. He was 7-19 with a double, home run and three RBIs. Valera earned the 2017 Team MVP award.
The Venezuelan joined the 'Dogs for the conclusion of the 2016 season following a productive stint with the Laredo Lemurs. Valera tallied a .307 batting average and collected six RBIs in 20 games for Lincoln.
Valera plays for Caribes of the Venezuelan Winter League in the offseason. He excelled this last winter, hitting .303 with three home runs and 18 RBIs over 50 games. He earned every-day playing time on a roster filled with 15 former MLB players. Caribes won the league championship.
Before his time in Independent ball, Valera worked around the St. Louis Cardinals farm system. He hit a combined .237 with 115 RBIs and 49 stolen bases over six seasons. His best stint came in 2014 when he hit .289 over 24 games at High Level-A Palm Beach.
Obregon played in 11 games for the Saltdogs. The switch hitter batted .316 with two doubles and one RBI. The Nicaraguan spent seven seasons in the Braves organization before going to the Independent ranks.
The Saltdogs (15-10) are two games into a seven-game road trip. They face the Texas AirHogs tonight at 7:05 PM in Grand Prairie, TX. Coverage begins at 6:35 PM on ESPN 101.5 FM 1480 AM and http://www.espn1480.com/lincoln-saltdogs-baseball/.
For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 13, 2018
- Dogs Strand Nine Men, Lose 3-1 - Chicago Dogs
- The Hero We Never Knew We Needed, Saints to Honor #MPRRACCOON by Changing Their Name to St. Paul Raccoons on June 26 - St. Paul Saints
- Pitchers Duel One Sided as Saints Lose to RedHawks 7-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Late Rally for T-Bones Isn't Enough - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Hold on to Beat T-Bones, Win 20th - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Activate All-Star Infielder Cesar Valera - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Strong Pitching Nets Birds Win over Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Mr. 1000: Manager George Tsamis Reaches Historic Milestone in Saints 6-5 Come from Behind Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Brilliant Bullpen Guides Wingnuts to Comeback Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Errors Doom Saltdogs in Texas - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Kansas City Shuts out Sioux City 6-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Homer Thrice in Loss to Wichita - Cleburne Railroaders
- Four-Run Eighth Helps AirHogs to Comeback Win vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Beat Canaries 6-5 in Wild Game at the Bird Cage - Chicago Dogs
- Birds Comeback Falls Short against Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lincoln Saltdogs Stories
- Tuesday Game Postponed, Doubleheader at Haymarket Park on Wednesday
- Saltdogs Set to Face Former Husker Hitter-Turned Knuckleballer Dan Johnson Tonight
- Getting the Band Back Together: Saltdogs Ink 2017 HR Leader Randolph Oduber
- Saltdogs Can't Slow Saints Offense in 15-9 Loss
- "Ballyard Brawl" MMA Events Coming to Haymarket Park