The Hero We Never Knew We Needed, Saints to Honor #MPRRACCOON by Changing Their Name to St. Paul Raccoons on June 26
ST. PAUL, MN - She was one of us and the world wrapped their arms around our #MPRRaccoon. Not all heroes wear capes and ours climbed her way into the hearts of many, along with one of the highest buildings in Saint Paul. While many consider Minnesota a state you flyover to get to your destination, our hero proved this was an area she didn't want to leave. She has now been returned safely into the wild, but her story will live forever and the St. Paul Saints plan on honoring the greatest raccoon known to man, since perhaps Rocket Raccoon, as they change their name for a day.
On Tuesday, June 26 the St. Paul Saints will become the St. Paul Raccoons. Many sports teams have drawn inspiration from animals with the Florida Panthers using the Rat in the mid-90s, the Anaheim Angels using the Rally Monkey in 2000, and now the Saints hope to draw motivation from the cities champion, The Racoon. The team will don special St. Paul Raccoon jerseys that will be auctioned off during the game, with proceeds donated to the Minnesota Wildlife Services. One lucky fan, sitting in seat 23, will receive a free bag of cat food.
The first 1,500 fans in attendance will see the game through a different view, by receiving a special raccoon mask. The party gets started with an Animal Farm style pre-game parade for the raccoon, featuring various wildlife creatures. While the raccoon was set free into the wild on Wednesday, the Saints are preparing for her return by offering the key to CHS Field, noting her love of three-lettered buildings. Should the raccoon ever return to the Saint Paul area, she will have free run of the Saints ballpark, to rummage through the trash, climb up the St. Paul Eye Clinic Batter's Eye, or just hang out and relax.
In addition, Porknite, the Saints live ball pig who delivers baseballs to the umpire, will have company during the game as a raccoon will be his sidekick. Fans are encouraged to utilize social media and send in their favorite moments and memories, of the one mammal that brought an entire nation together, to the Saints Twitter and Instagram accounts at StPaulSaints. The most inspirational message will receive four tickets to a game in the Securian Club, the most elevated spot to watch a game at CHS Field.
The Saints will utilize their PowerUp Peak 12-foot high climbing wall in the HealthPartners PowerUp Play Zone as the kid who climbs to the top the quickest during the night will win the opportunity to be a bat/ball kid for a game.
The Saints will take on the Sioux City Explorers on June 26 at 7:05 p.m.
Saints tickets continue to be a tremendous value. Tickets begin at $5 for the Treasure Island berm seating (available only on day of game in person at the box office), $6 for SPLASH Zone bleacher seats, $14 for outfield reserved, $16 for the drink rail and $18 for infield reserved and home plate reserved. Friday Home Games with Post-Game Fireworks are an additional $2 per ticket. Post-Game Fireworks Supershows (July 2 and September 2) are an additional $3 per ticket. Tickets purchased on the day of the game are an additional $2 per ticket. Children under the age of 12 and seniors 65 and older receive $1 off the admission price. Children under 2 that don't require a seat are free.
The Saints Box Office hours on non-game days are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. On game days, the Box Office will open at 9 a.m., Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. Saturday and 12:00 p.m. on Sunday and will remain open until 15 minutes following each game. Tickets are always available at saintsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 13, 2018
- Dogs Strand Nine Men, Lose 3-1 - Chicago Dogs
- The Hero We Never Knew We Needed, Saints to Honor #MPRRACCOON by Changing Their Name to St. Paul Raccoons on June 26 - St. Paul Saints
- Pitchers Duel One Sided as Saints Lose to RedHawks 7-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Late Rally for T-Bones Isn't Enough - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Hold on to Beat T-Bones, Win 20th - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Activate All-Star Infielder Cesar Valera - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Strong Pitching Nets Birds Win over Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Mr. 1000: Manager George Tsamis Reaches Historic Milestone in Saints 6-5 Come from Behind Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Brilliant Bullpen Guides Wingnuts to Comeback Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Errors Doom Saltdogs in Texas - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Kansas City Shuts out Sioux City 6-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Homer Thrice in Loss to Wichita - Cleburne Railroaders
- Four-Run Eighth Helps AirHogs to Comeback Win vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Beat Canaries 6-5 in Wild Game at the Bird Cage - Chicago Dogs
- Birds Comeback Falls Short against Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Oops We Did It Again: Saints Awarded American Association Organization of the Year for Fourth Straight Season
- Saints Documentary, For the Fun of the Game, Selected for Participation in Baseball Film Festival
- Saints Bid for Championship Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to T-Bones
- Saints on Brink of Elimination After Six Run Sixth, Lose Game 3 of Finals 7-3
- Funky and Cold, Medina Dazzles in 6-0 Saints Victory; Finals Even at a Game Apiece