Railroaders Homer Thrice in Loss to Wichita
CLEBURNE, Texas - Chevy Clarke hit his second homer in five games, but Cleburne couldn't hold on to three separate leads in an 8-6 loss to the Wichita Wingnuts at The Depot on Tuesday night.
Clarke's two-run shot came in a four-run 1st inning in which Trevor Sealey opened the scoring with his first home run as a Railroader.
The Wingnuts got a pair of runs back on Ryne Willard's two-run double in the 2nd, before Sealey restored a three-run lead with an RBI single in the bottom-half of the frame.
The Wingnuts then tied the game with three runs in the 3rd before Blake Grant-Parks hit a two-out homer in the home-half of the inning.
The Wingnuts both tied the game and took the lead for good in the 4th. Abel Nieves singled in Logan Watkins after he led off the inning with a double, and Tony Thomas drove in the go-ahead run with a groundout later in the inning.
Cleburne starter Roman Gomez surrendered a season-high seven runs on just 3.1 innings and was pulled after the Nieves single. Shawn Blackwell turned in 3.2 innings of relief, giving up a lone run on a sacrifice fly from Willard - who finished with a season-high four RBI - in the 6th inning. Cortland Cox pitched a scoreless 8th and 9th inning.
The Railroaders gave up a season-high 17 hits but issued only two walks a night after walking a franchise-record 13 Wingnuts. The three homers are the most Cleburne's hit in a game since the three homers clubbed against Gary SouthShore on July 20th of last season.
Rafael Palmeiro reached four times - two walks and two singles - and Levi Scott extended his hitting streak to six games with a one-out single.
Wichita has won the first two games of the series, and now the teams will play Game 3 of the four-game set at 7:06 p.m. Cleburne will send RHP Dylan Mouzakes to the mound while Wichita will counter with righty Travis Banwart.
Good seats are still available at The Depot and can be purchased at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 13, 2018
- Dogs Strand Nine Men, Lose 3-1 - Chicago Dogs
- The Hero We Never Knew We Needed, Saints to Honor #MPRRACCOON by Changing Their Name to St. Paul Raccoons on June 26 - St. Paul Saints
- Pitchers Duel One Sided as Saints Lose to RedHawks 7-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Late Rally for T-Bones Isn't Enough - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Hold on to Beat T-Bones, Win 20th - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Activate All-Star Infielder Cesar Valera - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Strong Pitching Nets Birds Win over Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Mr. 1000: Manager George Tsamis Reaches Historic Milestone in Saints 6-5 Come from Behind Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Brilliant Bullpen Guides Wingnuts to Comeback Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Errors Doom Saltdogs in Texas - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Kansas City Shuts out Sioux City 6-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Homer Thrice in Loss to Wichita - Cleburne Railroaders
- Four-Run Eighth Helps AirHogs to Comeback Win vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Beat Canaries 6-5 in Wild Game at the Bird Cage - Chicago Dogs
- Birds Comeback Falls Short against Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.