Birds Comeback Falls Short against Chicago
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Sioux Falls Canaries could not complete a comeback on Tuesday night, with the Chicago Dogs taking the second game of this week's four-game series 6-5.
Sioux Falls (8-15) got things rolling in the first inning with both Blake Schmit and Jabari Henry legging out doubles, each claiming an RBI to put the Birds on top 2-0.
Chicago (6-17) struck back in their half of the second inning with Shawon Dunston Jr. at the plate and the bases loaded. Dunston Jr. cleared the bases with a double, putting the Dogs ahead 3-2 after two innings.
Canaries starter Jim Patterson lasted 1.2 innings, allowing three runs on five hits. Sioux Falls newcomer Kevin Folman, signed today, came in relief, going 4.1 innings, striking out a pair, surrendering two runs on four hits.
Each team would score one run a piece in the third inning, with Chicago's Jonathan Moroney hitting a solo shot and Sioux Falls first baseman Chris Grayson singling home Schmit.
In the fourth, Dunston Jr. scored on a single, extending Chicago's lead to 5-3. A Mike Hart RBI-single cut into the Canaries' deficit, but Matt Dean would tag Tyler Wolfe for a home run into the short left field porch to get the run back. Wolfe finished his day with 2 innings pitched, striking out a trio of batters.
The Birds added another run in the eighth, when Dogs left fielder Dalton Blaser misplayed back-to-back fly balls in left. Both fell for doubles, including an RBI two-bagger by Maxx Garrett to cut the lead to 6-5.
James Jones escaped a pair of runners in scoring position in the top half of the ninth, setting up an opportunity to tie the game up in the ninth. Sioux Falls was unable to score the game-tying run after advancing a runner into scoring position with only one out.
ODDS AND ENDS
Typically a second baseman, Tyler Wolfe made his third appearance of the season, his longest outing of the season at 2.0 innings, and featured three punchouts ... Wolfe owns the top K/9 of 13.5 among the Canaries pitching staff with more than four innings pitched ... Mike Hart had back-to-back multi-hit games for the second time this season, going 6-8 in the last two games ... Sioux Falls is now 0-8 coming off of a victory ... the Birds now have only a lone home run in their last nine outings.
Game three of the series against Chicago will start at 12:05 p.m. Wednesday afternoon. Birds fans can get their tickets at the Sioux Falls Stadium box office or by calling 336-6060.
PITCHERS OF RECORD
W - Root (3-2)
L - Patterson (0-3)
SV - Downing (5)
1st - Sioux Falls: Blake Schmit doubles (Jordan Smith scores) 1-0 Sioux Falls; Jabari Henry doubles (Blake Schmit scores) 2-0 Sioux Falls.
2nd - Chicago: Shawon Dunston Jr. doubles (Matt Dean, Michael Baca and Zach Racusin score) 3-2 Chicago.
3rd - Chicago: Jonathan Moroney solo homerun, 4-2 Chicago. Sioux Falls: Chris Grayson singles (Blake Schmit scores) 4-3 Chicago.
4th - Chicago: Dalton Blaser singles (Shawon Dunston Jr. scores) 5-3 Chicago.
6th - Sioux Falls: Mike Hart singles (Jabari Henry scores) 5-4 Chicago.
7th - Chicago: Matt Dean solo homerun, 6-4 Chicago.
8th - Sioux Falls: Mike Hart doubles (Maxx Garrett scores) 6-5 Chicago.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 13, 2018
- Dogs Strand Nine Men, Lose 3-1 - Chicago Dogs
- The Hero We Never Knew We Needed, Saints to Honor #MPRRACCOON by Changing Their Name to St. Paul Raccoons on June 26 - St. Paul Saints
- Pitchers Duel One Sided as Saints Lose to RedHawks 7-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Late Rally for T-Bones Isn't Enough - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Hold on to Beat T-Bones, Win 20th - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Activate All-Star Infielder Cesar Valera - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Strong Pitching Nets Birds Win over Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Mr. 1000: Manager George Tsamis Reaches Historic Milestone in Saints 6-5 Come from Behind Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Brilliant Bullpen Guides Wingnuts to Comeback Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Errors Doom Saltdogs in Texas - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Kansas City Shuts out Sioux City 6-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Homer Thrice in Loss to Wichita - Cleburne Railroaders
- Four-Run Eighth Helps AirHogs to Comeback Win vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Beat Canaries 6-5 in Wild Game at the Bird Cage - Chicago Dogs
- Birds Comeback Falls Short against Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.