Dogs Strand Nine Men, Lose 3-1
Sioux Falls S.D. - The Dogs stranded nine men on base, including five in the final three innings, and fell to the Sioux Falls Canaries 3-1 Wednesday afternoon at Sioux Falls Stadium.
Chicago received a quality start from Michael Wagner, who went seven innings, allowing three runs on eight hits, but was out-dueled by Sioux Falls southpaw Cesilio Pimentel. Pimentel pitched six and one-third innings in his second start of the season, allowing just one run on seven hits. Pimentel earned the win in his first decision of the year, while Wagner took the loss, dropping him to 0-3.
Chicago struck first in the game thanks to a Jonathan Moroney lead-off triple in the top of the second inning. The hit was just the second three-bagger of the season for the Dogs. Matt Dean then drove Moroney in with a sacrifice fly for his tenth RBI of the year.
Once again, the fifth inning proved to be the trouble spot for Chicago pitching. Patrick Fiala blooped a two-run double down the right field line to score two Sioux Falls runs in the bottom of the fifth frame and push Sioux Falls in front 3-1. The hit was just the second of the extra-base variety on the year for Fiala.
Chicago has now been outscored 33-6 in the fifth inning of games this year.
Wagner would then work scoreless seventh and eighth frames, to keep the deficit at two runs for Chicago.
The Dogs placed a man a second base with nobody out in both the seventh and eighth innings, but could not score in either frame. James Jones worked the ninth for Sioux Falls, stranding two more men on base after a two-out Burt Reynolds error prolonged the frame. Jones earned the save, his fifth of the season.
The loss drops Chicago to 6-18 while Sioux Falls moves to 9-15. The two teams will conclude their four game set Thursday night at Sioux Falls Stadium. Left-hander Kylin Turnbull will start for the Dogs, while Joe Bircher gets the nod for the Canaries.
First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. The game will be broadcast at www.thechicagodogs.com/broadcasts/ with the Crowne Plaza Pregame Show beginning at 6:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 13, 2018
- Dogs Strand Nine Men, Lose 3-1 - Chicago Dogs
- The Hero We Never Knew We Needed, Saints to Honor #MPRRACCOON by Changing Their Name to St. Paul Raccoons on June 26 - St. Paul Saints
- Pitchers Duel One Sided as Saints Lose to RedHawks 7-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Late Rally for T-Bones Isn't Enough - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Hold on to Beat T-Bones, Win 20th - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Activate All-Star Infielder Cesar Valera - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Strong Pitching Nets Birds Win over Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Mr. 1000: Manager George Tsamis Reaches Historic Milestone in Saints 6-5 Come from Behind Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Brilliant Bullpen Guides Wingnuts to Comeback Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Errors Doom Saltdogs in Texas - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Kansas City Shuts out Sioux City 6-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Homer Thrice in Loss to Wichita - Cleburne Railroaders
- Four-Run Eighth Helps AirHogs to Comeback Win vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Beat Canaries 6-5 in Wild Game at the Bird Cage - Chicago Dogs
- Birds Comeback Falls Short against Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul
- Dogs to Host Gold Glove Charities Event Benefitting Children Fighting Cancer
- Torrez, Vavra Lead Chicago to 6-3 Win over St. Paul
- Dogs Spoil Strong Start from Simms, Lose 2-1