Salt Lake Wins Shootout, 12-11
The Salt Lake Bees won a wild 12-11 contest to open a four-game series against the Sacramento River Cats at Smith's Ballpark.
The Bees and River Cats did not put a 0 on the line score until the sixth inning as the two teams combined for 33 hits on the night. The Bees entered the fourth inning with a 5-3 lead but Sacramento would score three runs in the top of the fourth before Salt Lake would strike for five in the bottom half to take a 10-6 lead which they would not relinquish. Salt Lake was lead offensively by Chris Carter who finished 4-for-5 with three runs driven in. Jose Miguel Fernandez had three hits on the game and scored three times while David Fletcher would also have a three hit game and score twice.
John Lamb got the start for the Bees but struggled giving up six runs over three and one-third innings. Despite the struggles the Bees moved to 9-0 in games where Lamb starts. Akeel Morris (1-0) got the win with one run allowed over on and two-thirds innings. Jake Jewell pitched the ninth inning to earn his first ever Triple-A save. San Francisco Giants outfielder Hunter Pence went 1-for-5 while continuing his rehab starts for the River Cats.
The Bees and River Cats will face each other on Friday and Saturday night at 6:35 before a Sunday matinee at 1:05. Tickets and more information is available at www.slbees.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2018
- Aces Set Franchise Record Friday Night - Reno Aces
- Late Rally Falls Short in Loss to Aces - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Even Series with 8-4 Win Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Chases Storm, Falls Short in the Ninth - Iowa Cubs
- Chasers' Bats Awaken in 8-6 Victory - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Fall to River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Mac and Slater go back-to-back, lead River Cats to 7-3 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Martini Homers Twice as Sounds Even Series with Dodgers - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox May 18 Game Postponed Due to Wet Grounds from Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds, Sky Sox Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Rain Postpones Express, Baby Cakes on Friday Night - Round Rock Express
- Friday's Baby Cakes Game Rained Out - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chasers Homestand Highlights: May 21-29 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Construction to Begin on Chukchansi Park Left Field Project - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (20-19) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (25-12) - Nashville Sounds
- Salt Lake Bees to Hold 12th Annual 'Pack the Park Pink' Night - Salt Lake Bees
- "Heroes Get Remembered But Legends Never Die", Chihuahuas Unveil "The Sandlot" Jersey and Theme Night - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-18) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (25-13) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Garner Business Excellence Honors - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Drop Series Opener To Las Vegas, 8-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Wins Shootout, 12-11 - Salt Lake Bees
- Sky Sox Rally Late to Defeat Redbirds in Series Opener - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats drop a wild one in Salt Lake - Sacramento River Cats
- Davis, Fresno Top Chihuahuas 9-7 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- J.D. Davis hits for the cycle as Grizzlies beat Chihuahuas 9-7 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Pitching, Defense Falter Late in Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Begins Road Trip on Wrong Foot - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Stifle Sounds with Eight-Run Fourth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cubs Outlast Chasers in 11, 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.