River Cats drop a wild one in Salt Lake
SALT LAKE CITY, UT - The Sacramento River Cats (20-21) fell to the Salt Lake Bees (24-17) 12-11 in an incredible offensive display from both teams. The teams combined for 23 runs on 33 hits on a windy night at Smith's Ballpark.
Neither starting pitcher found a way to slow down the opposing team as the River Cats and the Bees both scored at least one run in each of the first five innings. Sacramento starter Matt Gage and Salt Lake's John Lamb each allowed six earned runs in 3.1 innings pitched.
Every River Cats hitter in the starting lineup recorded at least one hit, highlighted by home runs from Chase d'Arnaud in the third inning and a three-run blast from Orlando Calixte in the fourth, which briefly gave Sacramento the lead at 6-5. Ryder Jones reached base four times and Eury Perez went 2-for-5 with a triple and three RBI, but the Bees offense was too much to handle as they put up twelve runs on eighteen total hits.
The River Cats are back in action tomorrow against the Salt Lake Bees for game two of this series. Sacramento will send right-hander Dereck Rodriguez (3-0, 3.13), who is coming off an eleven-strikeout performance, to the mound to face off with fellow righty Parker Bridwell (0-0, 0.00). First pitch is set for 5:35 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on the air on Money 105.5 FM beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- Perez and Jensen each recorded their first triples of the season, while Chase d'Arnaud recorded his team-leading third of the season. Three triples is the most in a game this season for the River Cats.
- After undergoing Tommy John surgery in 2017, left-handed pitcher Jordan Schafer made his River Cats debut and struck out two batters in a scoreless seventh inning.
- Austin Slater went 2-for-4 with two RBI to extend his team-leading hitting streak to thirteen games.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. River Cats Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the 2018 season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). For more information about the River Cats, visit www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2018
- Aces Set Franchise Record Friday Night - Reno Aces
- Late Rally Falls Short in Loss to Aces - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Even Series with 8-4 Win Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Chases Storm, Falls Short in the Ninth - Iowa Cubs
- Chasers' Bats Awaken in 8-6 Victory - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Fall to River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Mac and Slater go back-to-back, lead River Cats to 7-3 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Martini Homers Twice as Sounds Even Series with Dodgers - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox May 18 Game Postponed Due to Wet Grounds from Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds, Sky Sox Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Rain Postpones Express, Baby Cakes on Friday Night - Round Rock Express
- Friday's Baby Cakes Game Rained Out - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chasers Homestand Highlights: May 21-29 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Construction to Begin on Chukchansi Park Left Field Project - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (20-19) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (25-12) - Nashville Sounds
- Salt Lake Bees to Hold 12th Annual 'Pack the Park Pink' Night - Salt Lake Bees
- "Heroes Get Remembered But Legends Never Die", Chihuahuas Unveil "The Sandlot" Jersey and Theme Night - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-18) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (25-13) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Garner Business Excellence Honors - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Drop Series Opener To Las Vegas, 8-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Wins Shootout, 12-11 - Salt Lake Bees
- Sky Sox Rally Late to Defeat Redbirds in Series Opener - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats drop a wild one in Salt Lake - Sacramento River Cats
- Davis, Fresno Top Chihuahuas 9-7 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- J.D. Davis hits for the cycle as Grizzlies beat Chihuahuas 9-7 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Pitching, Defense Falter Late in Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Begins Road Trip on Wrong Foot - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Stifle Sounds with Eight-Run Fourth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cubs Outlast Chasers in 11, 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Bumgarner dominates in epic 2-0 River Cats win
- dâ??Arnaud homers for River Cats, Isotopes rally in ninth
- River Cats walk off in extras for 1-0 shutout win
- Comeback falls short as River Cats lose fourth straight
- Bumgarner Expected to Make Rehab Start Saturday in Sacramento