Davis, Fresno Top Chihuahuas 9-7
Fresno third baseman J.D. Davis hit for the cycle in the Grizzlies' 9-7 win over the El Paso Chihuahuas Thursday night. It was the third cycle in Grizzlies history and the first cycle ever against the Chihuahuas. Davis hit a home run on the first pitch of the ninth inning to clinch the feat.
El Paso trailed by three runs with two outs and nobody on base in the bottom of the ninth inning when three consecutive Chihuahuas reached base, with one scoring on an RBI single by Brett Nicholas, before Fresno sealed the win. San Diego Padres outfielder Hunter Renfroe went 1-for-5 with an RBI double in his first MLB injury rehab game with El Paso.
Allen Craig and Dusty Coleman both homered for El Paso in the loss. Nicholas now has hits in four straight games and RBIs in three straight. Shane Peterson hit two doubles Thursday, the second one was his 1,000th career minor league hit. The Chihuahuas are below .500 for the first time since August 26, 2017.
Box Score: https://www.milb.com/gameday/grizzlies-vs-chihuahuas/2018/05/17/542594#game_state=live,game_tab=,game=542594
Team Records: Fresno (25-16), El Paso (20-21)
Next Game: Friday, 7:05 pm at Southwest University Park. Fresno RHP David Paulino (0-0, 4.85) vs. El Paso RHP Jesse Scholtens (0-1, 2.70). The game will air on 600 ESPN El Paso and www.epchihuahuas.com.
Fresno 9 El Paso 7 - Thursday
WP: Ramsey (2-1)
LP: Brewer (0-3)
S: McCurry (7)
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2018
- Aces Set Franchise Record Friday Night - Reno Aces
- Late Rally Falls Short in Loss to Aces - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Even Series with 8-4 Win Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Chases Storm, Falls Short in the Ninth - Iowa Cubs
- Chasers' Bats Awaken in 8-6 Victory - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Fall to River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Mac and Slater go back-to-back, lead River Cats to 7-3 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Martini Homers Twice as Sounds Even Series with Dodgers - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox May 18 Game Postponed Due to Wet Grounds from Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds, Sky Sox Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Rain Postpones Express, Baby Cakes on Friday Night - Round Rock Express
- Friday's Baby Cakes Game Rained Out - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chasers Homestand Highlights: May 21-29 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Construction to Begin on Chukchansi Park Left Field Project - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (20-19) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (25-12) - Nashville Sounds
- Salt Lake Bees to Hold 12th Annual 'Pack the Park Pink' Night - Salt Lake Bees
- "Heroes Get Remembered But Legends Never Die", Chihuahuas Unveil "The Sandlot" Jersey and Theme Night - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-18) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (25-13) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Garner Business Excellence Honors - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Drop Series Opener To Las Vegas, 8-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Wins Shootout, 12-11 - Salt Lake Bees
- Sky Sox Rally Late to Defeat Redbirds in Series Opener - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats drop a wild one in Salt Lake - Sacramento River Cats
- Davis, Fresno Top Chihuahuas 9-7 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- J.D. Davis hits for the cycle as Grizzlies beat Chihuahuas 9-7 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Pitching, Defense Falter Late in Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Begins Road Trip on Wrong Foot - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Stifle Sounds with Eight-Run Fourth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cubs Outlast Chasers in 11, 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.