Cubs Outlast Chasers in 11, 4-3
DES MOINES, IA - Omaha forced extra innings with a late 3-run comeback, but Iowa found the extra run in the 11th to defeat the Storm Chasers 4-3 on Thursday night at Principal Park.
The game was scoreless until the bottom of the 4th, when Iowa broke through for 3 runs against Heath Fillmyer . Bijan Rademacher walked, Jacob Hannemann singled, Chris Giminez doubled home 2 runs, and Stephen Bruno doubled in Giminez for a 3-0 Cubs lead.
Fillmyer pitched 4 innings, allowing 3 runs, 5 hits, and 3 walks. He struck out 2.
Luke Farrell tossed 5 scoreless frames in his first outing against his former team. He allowed only 1 hit, struck out 5, and walked 2.
Justin Grimm turned in a scoreless 5th inning for Omaha in a rehab appearance, and Wily Peralta worked the 6th through the 9th, facing the minimum over 4 stellar innings of relief.
Paulo Orlando put Omaha on the board with a solo homer in the top of the 8th against Alberto Baldonado (who had tossed scoreless frames in the 6th and 7th), hooking a shot over the left field foul pole. Jack Lopez followed with a double, stole 3rd, and scored on a double by Humberto Arteaga , cutting the deficit to 3-2. After Shea Simmons relieved Baldonado, Billy Burns singled to tie the game at 3-3.
The game went to extra innings, and in the top of the 10th, the Chasers failed to execute home their automatic runner from 2nd base. In the bottom of the 10th, the Cubs advanced their runner to 3rd on a groundout, but also couldn't bring him home, as Brandon Maurer held the line to send the game to the 11th.
But Omaha again failed to score in the top of the 11th, stranding 2 runners, and in the bottom of the inning, the Cubs pushed across the winning run. Bijan Rademacher bunted the automatic runner to 3rd, and Ryan Court singled home the winner against Maurer (L, 0-3) , giving Iowa the opening game of the series.
Cory Mazzone (W, 1-2) pitched the 10th and 11th for Iowa, earning the win.
The Storm Chasers (14-26) will continue the series tomorrow night at 7:08. RHP Scott Barlow (1-2, 2.66) will pitch for Omaha, while Iowa will send RHP Duane Underwood Jr. to the mound.
Single-game tickets are available for all remaining 2018 Storm Chasers home contests, and may be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com/tickets, or through the Werner Park Ticket Office during open hours from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday either in-person or by calling (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2018
- Aces Set Franchise Record Friday Night - Reno Aces
- Late Rally Falls Short in Loss to Aces - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Even Series with 8-4 Win Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Chases Storm, Falls Short in the Ninth - Iowa Cubs
- Chasers' Bats Awaken in 8-6 Victory - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Fall to River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Mac and Slater go back-to-back, lead River Cats to 7-3 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Martini Homers Twice as Sounds Even Series with Dodgers - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox May 18 Game Postponed Due to Wet Grounds from Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds, Sky Sox Postponed Friday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Rain Postpones Express, Baby Cakes on Friday Night - Round Rock Express
- Friday's Baby Cakes Game Rained Out - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chasers Homestand Highlights: May 21-29 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Construction to Begin on Chukchansi Park Left Field Project - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (20-19) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (25-12) - Nashville Sounds
- Salt Lake Bees to Hold 12th Annual 'Pack the Park Pink' Night - Salt Lake Bees
- "Heroes Get Remembered But Legends Never Die", Chihuahuas Unveil "The Sandlot" Jersey and Theme Night - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-18) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (25-13) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Garner Business Excellence Honors - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Drop Series Opener To Las Vegas, 8-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Wins Shootout, 12-11 - Salt Lake Bees
- Sky Sox Rally Late to Defeat Redbirds in Series Opener - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats drop a wild one in Salt Lake - Sacramento River Cats
- Davis, Fresno Top Chihuahuas 9-7 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- J.D. Davis hits for the cycle as Grizzlies beat Chihuahuas 9-7 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Pitching, Defense Falter Late in Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Begins Road Trip on Wrong Foot - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Stifle Sounds with Eight-Run Fourth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cubs Outlast Chasers in 11, 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- Free Baseballoween Event Set for October 26 at Werner Park
- Cain, Moustakas Among Omaha Alums Advancing to Postseason
- Ballpark Digest Awards Chasers "Best Marketing Campaign" Honor
- Chasers Get First Look at '50 Summers' Documentary October 9
- Schwindel, Lovelady Earn Omaha Player of the Year Honors